Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - New style, new era: Australia captain promises to rebuild trust




New style, new era: Australia captain promises to rebuild trust

Australia captain Tim Paine speaks at a press conference on the first day of the fourth Test with South Africa  in Johannesburg on March 30. AFP
Australia captain Tim Paine speaks at a press conference on the first day of the fourth Test with South Africa in Johannesburg on March 30. AFP

New style, new era: Australia captain promises to rebuild trust

Australia Test captain Tim Paine pledged on Thursday to embark on a new era of “respectful” cricket and rebuild public trust after the ball-tampering scandal that rocked the sport.

The newly appointed leader said the fallout from the tampering episode was greater than players had anticipated and promised a different style of cricket in the future.

“Going forward, we have a clean slate. We can rewrite the way we play a little bit,” the 33-year-old told reporters in Tasmania’s capital Hobart.

“The main thing for us is to bring the fans back to Australian cricket and make sure they like the way we are going about it – they want to come and watch and be proud of the Australian cricket team,” he added.

The ball-tampering scandal during the third Test in South Africa last month stunned the sport and sparked reviews into the culture within Australian cricket.

Then captain Steve Smith and his deputy David Warner have been banned from international and domestic cricket for a year, while Cameron Bancroft was exiled for nine months, leaving the squad badly weakened.

They have all apologised and accepted the sanctions.

Paine said all three would be welcomed back to the national side but in a new environment that met public expectations.

“Certainly playing international cricket you have to be as competitive as you possibly can be, but we just have to look at different ways of doing that,” he said, “more respectful ways of putting opposition teams under the pump.”

Meeting on new head coach

Australia has been under heavy scrutiny for sledging and Paine said on-field talk with the opposition “will be very different going forward”.

Cricket Australia (CA) announced a meeting for Friday to discuss who will replace head coach Darren Lehmann, who despite being cleared of any wrongdoing resigned amid the scandal fallout.

But it denied media reports that former Aussie opener Justin Langer had already been selected for the job.

“The process to be undertaken for the appointment of a new Australian men’s head coach will be discussed and agreed at the CA board meeting this Friday,” a spokesperson said in a statement.

“No appointment has been made, and nor will any candidate be put to the board for ratification on Friday.”

Paine on Thursday endorsed Langer but added there were many highly regarded candidates worldwide.

Langer remains favourite to take the top job but has indicated he wants to maintain his coaching and family commitments in his home state of Western Australia.

Former Australian Test captain Ricky Ponting and former pacemen Jason Gillespie have also been touted as potential replacements for Lehmann.

Some commentators have suggested the coaching appointments be split across the three forms of the game – Tests, one-day internationals and Twenty20s.

MOST VIEWED

  • All inbound flights set to face added scrutiny

    Ministry of Health spokesperson Or Vandine said on Monday that the ministry is monitoring all inbound flights, after it was announced that only those from Malaysia and Indonesia will be temporarily cancelled from August 1. Vandine said on Monday that the two countries were identified as

  • Flights from Indonesia, Malaysia cancelled

    A Ministry of Health official has warned of the possibility of Covid-19 spreading through community transmission after the total infected cases in the Kingdom rose to 225. Ministry spokeswoman Or Vandine told reporters on Saturday that the possibility of community transmission cannot be overlooked and that

  • Man in quarantine dies of ‘overdose’

    The Ministry of Health on Thursday said a Cambodian migrant worker who died while being isolated at a quarantine centre in Tbong Khmum province’s Kroch Chhmar district may have died from syncope or overdose of tablets. In a statement, the ministry said the 21-year-old

  • Ministry set to reopen 20 schools in August

    The Ministry of Education, Youth and Sport will allow 20 high-safety-standards schools to reopen next month despite new cases of Covid-19 in the country. Ministry spokesperson Ros Soveacha wrote in a Telegram message on Wednesday that the schools are in Phnom Penh, Siem Reap and Battambang.