Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Neymar out ‘at least six weeks’ and to miss Real clash



Neymar out ‘at least six weeks’ and to miss Real clash

Paris Saint-Germain forward Neymar lies on the pitch during their French Ligue 1 match with Marseille at the Parc des Princes in Paris on Sunday. AFP
Paris Saint-Germain forward Neymar lies on the pitch during their French Ligue 1 match with Marseille at the Parc des Princes in Paris on Sunday. AFP

Neymar out ‘at least six weeks’ and to miss Real clash

Paris Saint-Germain forward Neymar faces “at least six weeks” out with a fractured bone in his foot and will miss next week’s return leg of the Champions League last-16 tie against Real Madrid, his father said on Tuesday.

“PSG know that they will not be able to count on Neymar for the upcoming matches: his treatment will last six to eight weeks, whether there is an operation or not,” Neymar senior told ESPN Brasil.

The Brazilian star suffered the injury, as well as a twisted ankle, in an innocuous looking incident towards the end of Sunday’s 3-0 league victory over bitter rivals Marseille.

PSG coach Unai Emery said earlier on Tuesday that “no decision” had been made regarding an operation, denying an earlier report in the Brazilian press that the world’s most expensive player would go under the knife to repair the cracked bone in his right foot.

Brazilian newspaper Globo Esporte had claimed a decision had been reached for Neymar to undergo surgery, and that the 26-year-old would be sidelined until May.

MOST VIEWED

  • Locations shut, dozens more Covid-19 positive

    The Ministry of Health has closed 23 locations in connection with the February 20 community transmission of Covid-19 and summoned for testing anyone who had direct contact with affected people and places. The number of discovered related infections has risen to 76, including 39 women. In a press release,

  • Covid cluster raises alarm, health bodies urge vigilance

    The Ministry of Health and the World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia have expressed great concern over the February 20 cluster transmission of Covid-19 in the community. Both entities appealed for vigilance and cooperation in curbing further spread of the virus. Ministry spokeswoman Or Vandine said

  • PM confirms third Covid-19 community transmission

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on February 20 announced the Kingdom's third outbreak of Covid-19 community transmission after 32 people tested positive in just over 10 hours. Addressing the public from his residence after an emergency meeting, Hun Sen said: "I dub it February 20 Community Event, in which 32 cases

  • Cambodia's Covid cluster cases rise to 137

    The Ministry of Health on February 24 recorded 40 more cases of Covid-19, with 38 linked to the February 20 community transmission. Of the 40, two are imported cases involving Chinese passengers. The 38 include two Vietnamese nationals and one Cambodian, with the rest being Chinese. This brings the total cases

  • Cambodia to make auto-rickshaws

    Locally-assembled electric auto-rickshaws could hit the Cambodian market as soon as early in May after the Council for the Development of Cambodia (CDC) gave the greenlight to an investment project at the weekend. According to a CDC press release, it will issue a final registration

  • Howard Johnson opens in Sihanoukville

    New York Stock Exchange- (NYSE) listed hotel franchiser Wyndham Hotels & Resorts Inc (WH) has opened its first hotel in the Kingdom – the Howard Johnson Plaza by Wyndham Blue Bay Sihanoukville, WH said in a February 18 press release. WH said the new 36-storey property in Sihanoukville’