Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Participation in Angkor Empire Marathon expected to top 3,000




Participation in Angkor Empire Marathon expected to top 3,000

Participants run though the Angkor Archaeological Park in Siem Reap during the annual half marathon.
Participants run though the Angkor Archaeological Park in Siem Reap during the annual half marathon.

Participation in Angkor Empire Marathon expected to top 3,000

The second running of the Angkor Empire Marathon around the breath-taking sights of the Angkor Wat Temple complex in Siem Reap on Sunday has attracted a modest increase in overseas participation.

As per the latest registration figures made available to the Post by the National Olympic Committee of Cambodia, close to 1,200 runners from 48 countries will line up for the 42km charity run, a 20 per cent rise compared with the inaugural run on August 17 last year.

With expats and the locals joining in, the number of participants for the marathon and the supporting half marathon, along with the 10K run, is expected to get past 3,000.

Cambodia is among the 100 countries and territories staging the marathons every year, but few can match the historical and architectural significance of a World Heritage site and the natural scenic beauty that the running route offers around the sprawling temple complex.

The Association of International Marathons and Road Races (AIMS), a member-based organisation of over 350 of world’s leading road races marked out the route last year and has carried out a few readjustments for this run to make the experience even more exciting.

Japan’s “Owarai” comedian Neko Hiroshi, who became a Cambodian citizen more than three years ago, won for his adopted country the inaugural run and is hoping for a repeat success.

He finished sixth in the recently held SEA Games in Singapore.

The Phnom Penh-based French tutor Veronique Messina, winner of multiple half marathons including the May 31 Phnom Penh International Half marathon, topped the women’s run last year.

MOST VIEWED

  • Chikungunya hits 15 provinces, says gov’t

    Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said on Thursday that the chikungunya outbreak in the Kingdom has spread to 15 provinces. Some 1,700 people are now suspected to have the disease. Vandine urged people to prevent its further spread by eliminating shelters for the Aedes aegypti mosquitoes

  • Body of woman killed in Bangkok returns

    The Cambodian embassy in Thailand is working to repatriate the body of a casino dealer who was shot dead in Bangkok on Monday night. Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation spokesman Kuy Kuong told The Post on Wednesday that officials are preparing paperwork to

  • Gov’t exempts visa A and B holders from Covid fees

    Airline passengers who are diplomats and officials of international organisations holding Type A and B visas for travel to Cambodia are exempted from paying Covid-19 testing fees, said the Ministry of Health in its latest adjustment of rules on Wednesday. Health Minister Mam Bun Heng

  • All inbound flights set to face added scrutiny

    Ministry of Health spokesperson Or Vandine said on Monday that the ministry is monitoring all inbound flights, after it was announced that only those from Malaysia and Indonesia will be temporarily cancelled from August 1. Vandine said on Monday that the two countries were identified as