Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Peace with Pogba needed for Mourinho to shirk familiar criticism



Peace with Pogba needed for Mourinho to shirk familiar criticism

Manchester United manager Jose Mourinho speaks with midfielder Paul Pogba during their Premier League match with Tottenham on January 31. AFP
Manchester United manager Jose Mourinho speaks with midfielder Paul Pogba during their Premier League match with Tottenham on January 31. AFP

Peace with Pogba needed for Mourinho to shirk familiar criticism

Kieran Canning

Manchester United’s Champions League trip to Sevilla on Wednesday night (at 2:45am Cambodian time) is the type of occasion for which the English giants swallowed their pride to pay £89 million ($125 million) for Paul Pogba, four years after he left Old Trafford for Juventus as a free agent.

Yet it remains to be seen whether the French midfielder even starts at the Sanchez Pizjuan for the first leg of the last-16 tie as much due to his form as his fitness.

Pogba hasn’t completed 90 minutes in a month as he has been hauled off by Jose Mourinho in defeats at Tottenham and Newcastle, and dropped by the Portuguese for victory over Huddersfield at Old Trafford in between.

Reports in the French press emerged last week that Pogba is unhappy with the role given to him by Mourinho, in particular the defensive demands imposed by the Portuguese.

Mourinho pointedly said Pogba would have occupied his favoured role on the left of a midfield three for Saturday’s fifth-round FA Cup win at Huddersfield if he had not been ruled out hours before the game due to illness.

The arrival of Alexis Sanchez on the left side of the United attack in January has exacerbated those differences as Pogba and the Chilean are
yet to complete 90 minutes together.

Mourinho described rumours of a breakdown in communication between he and Pogba as “big lies”, but has not hid his criticism of the 24-year-old’s form.

“In this moment he is not playing well . . . and the team needs him at a good level.”

No more so than in the next few weeks, as in between their two legs against Sevilla, United also host Chelsea and Liverpool in the Premier League with all three sides locked in a battle to finish in the top four.

“When he is not playing at a good level the team is not as good as the team can be,” added Mourinho.

“I think it happens with every team when the best players, the most crucial players, for some reason are not performing.”

Can attacking talent be harnessed?

For the hundreds of millions spent by United in the transfer market in recent seasons, Pogba remains the most marquee of them all having beaten off competition from around Europe to make him then the most
expensive player in the world in 2016.

The question remains whether Mourinho, who extended his contract in January to 2020, and Pogba can reconcile their differences for the common good.

Despite his stellar coaching career, it is not the first time Mourinho has failed to muster the maximum potential from a prestigious talent.

Two of the frontrunners for Player of the Year honours in England, Kevin De Bruyne and Mohamed Salah, were disregarded by Mourinho and sold on the cheap during his time at Chelsea.

Not long after he returned to United, Pogba told French magazine So Foot he’d be “the new midfielder”.

A player he defined as “can defend, he can win the ball, he can make the play, he can pass, he can score”.

A concept that doesn’t sound too dissimilar to Mourinho’s definition of a box-to-box midfielder in recent weeks.

“[It] means you have to defend well, have the physical conditions to go to the other box, where you have to be good at scoring, creating, heading and then, when your team loses the ball, you have to go to the other box,” Mourinho said. “Now people say a box-to-box has to play free of defensive duties.”

Only time will tell if United’s star player and manager can harmonise their ideas on paper onto reality on the pitch.

MOST VIEWED

  • PM imposes nationwide Covid restrictions, curfew over Delta scare

    Prime Minister Hun Sen late on July 28 instructed the municipal and provincial authorities nationwide to strictly enforce Covid-19 measures including curfew for two weeks from July 29 midnight through August 12 to stem the new coronavirus Delta variant. The instruction came shortly after he issued a directive

  • Two luxury hotels latest quarantine options for inbound travellers

    The Inter-Ministerial Committee to Combat Covid-19 has designated two luxury hotels as alternative quarantine options for travellers who wish to enter Cambodia through Phnom Penh International Airport – Sokha Phnom Penh Hotel & Residence and the Courtyard by Marriott Phnom Penh. In a notice detailing guidelines issued

  • Provinces on Thai borders put in lockdown amid Delta fears

    The government has decided to place several border provinces in lockdown for two weeks in a bid to prevent the new coronavirus Delta variant spreading further into community. According a directive signed by Prime Minister Hun Sen late on July 28, the provinces include Koh Kong,

  • China denies Mekong hacking

    As the US and its allies joined hands last week to expose what they allege to be China’s Ministry of State Security’s malicious cyber activities around the world, the attention also turned to Cambodia with the US Department of Justice claiming that four

  • US' Johnson & Johnson Covid-19 vaccines arrive

    The first batch of 455,000 doses of the Johnson & Johnson Covid-19 vaccine donated by the US touched down in Phnom Penh on the morning of July 30. They are part of the total 1,060,100 doses the US has pledged to provide to Cambodia through the World Health Organisation-led (

  • Governor: Covid subsides in capital

    Phnom Penh municipal governor Khuong Sreng said the Covid-19 situation in the capital’s 14 districts has eased, with only two districts still recording a high number of infections. “Transmission cases in all districts are dropping, though they are relatively higher Meanchey and Por Sen Chey.