Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Porter and Farrell get first Six Nations starts for Wales clash




Porter and Farrell get first Six Nations starts for Wales clash

Porter and Farrell get first Six Nations starts for Wales clash

Andrew Porter will have to fill the sizeable boots of British and Irish Lions star Tadgh Furlong when he makes his first Six Nations start against Wales at Lansdowne Road on Saturday (at 9:15pm Cambodian time).

The 22-year-old, a relative novice at tighthead prop, impressed against Italy after Furlong had to go off in the fourth minute with a hamstring problem and will be joined by centre Chris Farrell, who comes in for the injured Robbie Henshaw, in making their first Six Nations starts.

Other changes from the starting XV that thrashed Italy 56-19 to make it two wins from two see CJ Stander return at No 8 instead of Jack Conan, James Ryan replace the injured Iain Henderson in the second row, and veteran prop Cian Healy come in for Jack McGrath.

“Tadgh was close but we decided not to risk him and to wait for the Scotland match in a fortnight,” said Ireland head coach Joe Schmidt.

“Andrew [Porter] did a sterling job against Italy and acquitted himself really well. This will be a step up but it is a learning process for him and nowhere else better to do so than against a tough team like Wales.”

Porter, who will win his fifth cap since his debut against the United States last year, began life as a loosehead prop but switched to tighthead for his province Leinster just last term.

The 76 minutes the hulking Porter (120kg, 18st 12lbs) played against Italy is the most he has spent on the pitch in any game since he broke through into the Leinster first team last season.

Farrell-Aki pairing

Farrell, who only made his debut against Fiji last November, will form an inexperienced partnership in the centres with Bundee Aki, although the latter sparkled in the Italy match as the New Zealand-born back scored his first try for his adopted country while setting up another.

“Losing three world class players [Henderson, Henshaw and Furlong] is tough but we are focused on those who are playing,” said Schmidt.

“Chris Farrell has been a long-term project. We are short on experience, they are welcoming back three Lions while we are losing three. Not ideal but nowhere better to carry on the learning curve.”

Ryan sat out the Italy game with a niggle he picked up in his impressive Six Nations debut against France and will be alongside Leinster team-mate Devin Toner.

Schmidt has omitted Jordan Larmour completely from the matchday 23, the talented 20-year-old perhaps paying the price for missing tackles in two of Italy’s tries after coming on for his Test debut. The more battle-hardened Fergus McFadden takes his spot on the replacements bench.

The hard core of experience in the side, which will be needed against a Wales outfit who are unfortunate not to be unbeaten themselves, is there with Rory Best skippering them in his 109th Test for his country, and the world class half-back pairing of Johnny Sexton and Conor Murray once again pulling the strings.

Schmidt has not lost a home Six Nations match since assuming the reins after the 2013 edition although the Welsh came close to beating the Irish in a 16-16 draw in 2016.

MOST VIEWED

  • Without shoes or a helmet, a young cyclist steals the show

    Pech Theara gripped the curved handlebars of his rusty old bike, planted his bare feet on its pedals and stormed as fast as he could towards the finish line. The odds were against him as the 13-year-old faced off against kids with nicer bikes at

  • Phnom Penh-Sihanoukville expressway on schedule

    The construction of the more than $1.9 billion Phnom Penh-Sihanoukville Expressway has not been delayed despite the Covid-19 pandemic, with more than 26 per cent of the project completed and expected to finish in about two years, according to Ministry of Public Works and Transport secretary of

  • Singapore group seeks $14M in damages from PPSP over ‘breach of contract’

    Singapore-based Asiatic Group (Holdings) Ltd is seeking a minimum of $14.4 million relief from Cambodia Securities Exchange (CSX)-listed Phnom Penh Special Economic Zone Plc (PPSP) for allegedly breaching a power plant joint venture (JV) agreement. Asiatic Group’s wholly-owned Colben System Pte Ltd and 95 per

  • Over 110 garment factories close

    A government official said on November 22 that at least 110 garment factories had closed in the first nine months of the year and left more than 55,000 workers without jobs – but union leaders worry those numbers could be much higher. Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training undersecretary

  • PM dispels lockdown rumours, gifts masks

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on November 12 denied rumours that he will lock down the country in response to increased Covid-19 fears, referring to them as propaganda aimed at destabilising the country. In a Facebook post, he said some people had spread rumours that the government

  • SilkAir adds flight to Phnom Penh schedule

    Silkair (Singapore) Pte Ltd is increasing its flight frequency between Phnom Penh and Singapore with a third weekly flight on Saturdays, according to Cambodia Airports’ Facebook page. The other flights offered are on Tuesdays and Sundays, with an estimated Phnom Penh arrival time at 5:35pm