Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Rabada cleared for Aussie Tests after shoulder barge appeal

Rabada cleared for Aussie Tests after shoulder barge appeal

South Africa bowler Kagiso Rabada celebrates taking the wicket of unseen Australia batsman Tim Paine in their first Test match at The Kingsmead Stadium in Durban on March 2. AFP
South Africa bowler Kagiso Rabada celebrates taking the wicket of unseen Australia batsman Tim Paine in their first Test match at The Kingsmead Stadium in Durban on March 2. AFP

Rabada cleared for Aussie Tests after shoulder barge appeal

South Africa’s Kagiso Rabada was cleared to play the remaining two Tests against Australia after winning an appeal against his ban over an alleged shoulder barge on Tuesday.

The International Cricket Council said Rabada had been found not guilty of making inappropriate and deliberate physical contact with Australian captain Steve Smith during the second Test in Port Elizabeth last week.

Judicial commissioner Michael Heron of New Zealand found Rabada guilty of the lesser charge of conduct contrary to the spirit of the game following an appeal hearing on Monday.

Heron reduced Rabada’s penalty from three demerit points to one, and reduced his fine from 50 percent to 25 percent of his match fee.

Rabada’s total of demerit points was therefore reduced from nine to seven, one short of the threshold for an automatic two-Test ban.

The ICC announcement said Rabada was free to play – which means he will take his place in the South African team for the third Test against Australia starting at Newlands on Thursday.

But Rabada’s cumulative points tally means that any further disciplinary action could result in a ban.

Heron said the key issue was whether Rabada made deliberate contact with Smith.

“I am not ‘comfortably satisfied’ that Mr Rabada intended to make contact,” Heron said in an ICC statement.

“I am entitled, however, to consider whether the conduct involved constitutes a lower-level offence.

“I consider the conduct was inappropriate, lacked respect for his fellow player and involved non-deliberate and minor contact. The actions contravened the principle that a dismissed batsman should be left alone.”

Rabada’s ban was among the low points of a bad-tempered series, in which Australia’s David Warner and South African Quinton de Kock were fined over a confrontation during the first Test.

Before the four-Test series resumes, with the teams locked at 1-1, South Africa opening bat Dean Elgar acknowledged: “There has been a lot of needle.

“It comes from both sides and it’s what you expect when you are playing against quality opposition. The intensity should be there. I think that’s what makes this [Test] format very much exciting.”

MOST VIEWED

  • PM to vet NY holiday dates

    The Ministry of Economy and Finance submitted a letter to Prime Minister Hun Sen asking him to formally set a five-day national holiday from August 17-21 to make up for the Khmer New Year holiday in April that was postponed. Finance minister Aun Pornmoniroth sent

  • Cambodia rejects UN rights claim

    Cambodia's Permanent Mission to the UN Office in Geneva on Friday hit back at David Kaye, the UN special rapporteur on the Promotion and Protection of the Right to Freedom of Opinion and Expression after he raised concerns over the repression of free speech and

  • Snaring may spawn diseases

    The World Wildlife Fund (WWF) has warned that snaring of animals has become a crisis that poses a serious risk to wildlife in Southeast Asia and could spawn the transmission of zoonotic diseases to humans. Its July 9 report entitled Silence of the Snares: Southeast Asia’

  • Ex-party leader, gov’t critic named as secretary of state

    A former political party leader known for being critical of the government has been appointed secretary of state at the Ministry of Rural Development, a royal decree dated July 9 said. Sourn Serey Ratha, the former president of the Khmer Power Party (KPP), told The Post

  • Residence cards set for over 80,000 immigrants

    The Ministry of Interior plans to grant residence cards to more than 80,000 immigrants to better keep track of them. The ministry announced the plan on July 10, following the results of an immigration census. “An inter-ministerial committee and many operational working groups have been set up

  • Kingdom produces PPE gear

    Medical supplies from Cambodia have been donated to member countries of the Asian Development Bank (ADB) to assist in the fight against Covid-19, said an ADB report published on July 9. The report stated that the supplies were donated as a response to global efforts to

  • Kingdom, US vow stronger ties

    At an academic forum on Saturday to celebrate 70 years of Cambodia-US diplomatic ties, Cambodian researchers and officials expressed hope of encouraging US investments and for that country to deepen and improve its bilateral relations. Held at the Royal Academy of Cambodia, it reviewed the past 70

  • Fifteen Cambodians from Saudi get Covid-19

    The Ministry of Health on Sunday confirmed 15 more imported cases of Covid. The 15 men ‒ all Cambodian aged 21 to 33 ‒ arrived from Saudi Arabia on Friday via a connecting flight in Malaysia. They were travelling with 79 other passengers, three of them women. The ministry said 80 of the

  • Ministry requests school opening

    The Ministry of Education, Youth and Sport on Thursday said it would request a decision from Prime Minister Hun Sen to allow a small number of schools to reopen next month. Ministry spokesman Ros Soveacha said if the request is granted, higher-standard schools will reopen

  • Kingdom eyes India FTA, China deal set for August

    Cambodia is studying the possibility of establishing a bilateral free trade agreement (FTA) with India to open a new market with the second-largest regional economy. This comes as an FTA with China is scheduled to be signed next month while similar negotiations with South Korea