Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - ‘Reverend’ Warner’s heavy price for win at all costs preaching

‘Reverend’ Warner’s heavy price for win at all costs preaching

Former Australia vice-captain David Warner sits in the shuttle bus as he arrives at OR Tambo International Airport Australia after the team was caught cheating in the third Test with South Africa on Tuesday. AFP
Former Australia vice-captain David Warner sits in the shuttle bus as he arrives at OR Tambo International Airport Australia after the team was caught cheating in the third Test with South Africa on Tuesday. AFP

‘Reverend’ Warner’s heavy price for win at all costs preaching

Damned as the chief plotter in the Australian ball-tampering scandal, David Warner has been sunk by sparking one controversy too many.

The man who made headlines in 2009 by becoming the first player in 130 years to represent Australia without having featured in a first-class match was heading home from South Africa in disgrace on Wednesday, friendless and with his reputation, already bruised by numerous run-ins, shattered.

Along with skipper Steve Smith, the 31-year-old Warner was banned for a year by Cricket Australia for his part in the third Test scandal in Cape Town that saw Cameron Bancroft use sandpaper to illegally scuff up the ball before a laughingly crude attempt to conceal the evidence down his trousers.

“[Warner] spoke with Cameron [Bancroft] in the change room while Smith was otherwise engaged, seemingly with a lot on his mind,” a Cricket Australia source said, recalling Saturday’s events at Newlands.

“I believe Smith knew something was going on, but did not try to find out exactly what.”

For many in the game, Warner’s involvement as the instigator of the lunchtime plot is hardly a surprise.

“David Warner is a hard man to keep quiet. If his bat isn’t doing the talking his mouth probably is, and either way you can expect an assertive approach,” is how respected website cricinfo opens its biography of the opening batsman.

In June 2013, Warner was suspended and fined for punching England’s Joe Root in a Birmingham bar on the eve of the Ashes.

“I’m extremely remorseful. I have let my teammates, Cricket Australia, the fans, myself and my family down,” said Warner at the time.

Two months earlier, he was similarly contrite after an ugly Twitter spat with two Australian journalists.

“I could have chosen my words better and I apologise for any offence that my language may have caused,” wrote Warner.

But his trademark combative nature never dimmed.

Loggerheads

Last year, he was the team’s unofficial shop steward as Australian players and governing body Cricket Australia found themselves at loggerheads over a pay dispute.

The row, played out in the public arena, even briefly put the Ashes in doubt.

Warner defended his style, which even then hinted at an ability to shout louder than the boyish-looking Smith, who preferred quiet diplomacy.

“The way [Smith] went about [talks between the players and CA] was how he wanted to play it, and I was always going to come out and be vocal and sticking up for the players,” Warner told Australian media.

Hardly surprising then that Warner, who was vice-captain to Smith with the national team, has been nicknamed ‘The Reverend’.

Not that there was any indication of anything holy about him as he led Australia’s assault on the current, doomed South African tour.

In the opening Test in Durban, he and home wicketkeeper Quinton de Kock squared up.

Warner claimed De Kock had made “vile and disgusting” remarks about his wife Candice.

Warner was fined 75 percent of his match fee and De Kock 25 percent.

The Cape Town scandal has already brought Warner financial misery, his $1.8 million deal with Hyderabad Sunrisers in the IPL cancelled.

When his ban ends, his dream of captaining Australia will also have died.

Whether or not he will be considered too toxic to add to his 74 Test appearances and 6,000-plus runs will be a factor weighed against him.

‘The Reverend’, it appears, has become ‘The Unwanted’.

MOST VIEWED

  • Over $3M in traffic fines collected in two months

    Traffic police officers collected over $3 million in fines throughout the Kingdom during the past two months when officers strictly enforced the law in accordance with a May sub-decree, officials said. As incentives, law enforcement officers received between 200,000 and two million riel ($50 to $500) each. The figures

  • Accused not treated equally, says CCHR

    The Cambodia Centre for Human Rights (CCHR) has urged the Court of Appeal to do more to ensure that an accused’s right to a fair trial is fully respected. In a bulletin released on Monday, the CCHR said it had monitored 273 cases at the

  • Investors’ $14.4M projects approved

    New investments from local and foreign sources continue to pour into Cambodia despite the Covid-19 pandemic remaining a lingering threat to regional and global economies. This comes as the Kingdom’s gross domestic product (GDP) is expected to contract between one and 2.9 per cent this

  • NagaWorld casinos set to reopen, schools to follow

    NAGACORP Ltd has requested that it be allowed to reopen its NagaWorld integrated resorts in Phnom Penh after the government recently approved casinos to operate again, provided they follow Covid-19 prevention measures set by the Ministry of Health. Mey Vann, the director-general of the Ministry

  • Rubber exports stretch 17%

    Cambodia exported 97,175 tonnes of natural rubber in the first five months of this year, surging 17 per cent compared to the same period last year as the Covid-19 pandemic stretches on, Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries official Khuong Phalla told The Post on Thursday. Phalla,

  • ASEM supports Kingdom’s proposal to postpone meeting amid Covid

    The 13th Asia-Europe Meeting (ASEM13) scheduled to be held in Cambodia in November has been postponed until mid-2021 due to the Covid-19 pandemic, a Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation press statement released on Saturday said. The decision was made during a two-day meeting

  • Coffee maker roasted for producing fake product

    The Ministry of Interior’s Counter Counterfeit Committee will send a suspect to court on Monday after she allegedly roasted coffee mixed with soybeans and other ingredients, creating a product which could pose a high risk to consumers’ health. On the afternoon of July 2, the

  • Cash handout programme 80% complete

    Minister of Social Affairs, Veterans and Youth Rehabilitation Vong Soth confirmed on Thursday that the implementation of the Cash Transfer Programme For Poor and Vulnerable Households During Covid-19 had been implemented for more than 80% of the over 560,000 families. The programme was introduced one week ago.

  • Cambodia armed with money laundering laws

    Money laundering will now carry a penalty of up to five years in prison while those convicted of financing terrorists will be jailed for up to 20 years, according to new laws promulgated by King Norodom Sihamoni and seen by The Post on Thursday. Comprising nine

  • Where is Cambodia’s exit strategy that can save the economy?

    With the prospect of being slammed by a double whammy, the government is working on an economic recovery plan to deliver it from Covid-19 and the EU’s partial withdrawal of the Everything But Arms scheme in the next two to three years Cambodia is