Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - ‘Road rage’ return: Vettel, Hamilton braced for new Baku street scrap




‘Road rage’ return: Vettel, Hamilton braced for new Baku street scrap

Mercedes driver Lewis Hamilton (front) and Ferrari's Sebastian Vettel race in the Azerbaijan Grand Prix at the Baku city circuit on June 25, 2017. AFP
Mercedes driver Lewis Hamilton (front) and Ferrari's Sebastian Vettel race in the Azerbaijan Grand Prix at the Baku city circuit on June 25, 2017. AFP

‘Road rage’ return: Vettel, Hamilton braced for new Baku street scrap

Championship leader Sebastian Vettel returns to the scene of last year’s road rage conflict with Lewis Hamilton this weekend when the title challengers contest the Azerbaijan Grand Prix.

One year on from a fierce and defining on-track battle that saw the German Ferrari driver collide with the Briton’s Mercedes, after claiming he was “brake tested”, Vettel has a nine-point lead over Hamilton in this year’s title race.

Hamilton and Mercedes are without a win after three races this year and, on recent form, appear to be struggling to defend their drivers’ and team crowns against a resurgent Ferrari and a threatening Red Bull.

Both Vettel and Red Bull’s Daniel Ricciardo have registered victories this season, and Hamilton, notably in China two weeks ago, has not shown his usual elan so far.

His former Mercedes teammate and 2016 world champion Nico Rosberg, however, is adamant that the four-time champion will bounce back stronger than ever.

Commenting on his YouTube channel, Rosberg said: “When he comes back, he comes back so damn strong that he’s almost unbeatable – so let’s see when that happens.”

His belief in Hamilton was echoed this week by Mercedes team chief Toto Wolff, who also noticed that the defending world champion was below his best in Shanghai.

“He was, like the car, maybe not in the best place,” said Wolff. “He is the best driver, in my opinion, but also the best ones have days where it is just not 100 percent.

“And if underneath you have a car that is not performing as expected – and tyres not doing what you think they should – and the strategy goes against you then everything just goes in the wrong direction.”

‘A tough fight’

Wolff and his team expect another close and challenging scrap this weekend in Baku, on the fastest street circuit in use, and for the season ahead.

“Last year, we were in a tough fight with Ferrari,” said Wolff. “But that was nothing compared to the intensity of the contest this year. And, you know, not everyone likes this kind of challenge, but we do – we love it.”

Chasing down Vettel and Ferrari is not a new experience for Hamilton and Mercedes.

Last season, the German led the title race for 12 races before he was caught and overhauled when Hamilton reeled off a sequence of five wins in six races that laid the foundation for his fourth title.

In that run, Ferrari made errors and Red Bull were not a serious threat.

This year, however, it is a different story.

Following Vettel’s two season-opening wins in Australia and Bahrain, Ricciardo, courted by Ferrari for 2019 and beyond, triumphed in China. He hopes another Baku win could help him cement his future.

Last year, Ricciardo won after dropping to 18th following a series of crashes, incidents and three safety car interventions.

“I want to be in the best car and I proved in China that if I’ve got the machinery, I can do the job. If we win a few more races, with Red Bull, that makes [staying] very attractive, but if not . . . there’s other options.”

‘Every detail counts’

For Wolff, it all wraps up to mean that the fans are in for a classic season and “an amazing battle in which every detail counts and with an outcome that no one can predict”.

Wolff, however, may not wish to be reminded that if Vettel wins in Baku, to register his third win in four races, he will be a nailed-on favourite for the title.

Since 1990, 13 drivers have achieved the feat and all took the championship.

MOST VIEWED

  • All inbound flights set to face added scrutiny

    Ministry of Health spokesperson Or Vandine said on Monday that the ministry is monitoring all inbound flights, after it was announced that only those from Malaysia and Indonesia will be temporarily cancelled from August 1. Vandine said on Monday that the two countries were identified as

  • Flights from Indonesia, Malaysia cancelled

    A Ministry of Health official has warned of the possibility of Covid-19 spreading through community transmission after the total infected cases in the Kingdom rose to 225. Ministry spokeswoman Or Vandine told reporters on Saturday that the possibility of community transmission cannot be overlooked and that

  • Man in quarantine dies of ‘overdose’

    The Ministry of Health on Thursday said a Cambodian migrant worker who died while being isolated at a quarantine centre in Tbong Khmum province’s Kroch Chhmar district may have died from syncope or overdose of tablets. In a statement, the ministry said the 21-year-old

  • Ministry set to reopen 20 schools in August

    The Ministry of Education, Youth and Sport will allow 20 high-safety-standards schools to reopen next month despite new cases of Covid-19 in the country. Ministry spokesperson Ros Soveacha wrote in a Telegram message on Wednesday that the schools are in Phnom Penh, Siem Reap and Battambang.