Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Saints take fifth on disputed VAR penalty victory



Saints take fifth on disputed VAR penalty victory

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Southampton’s English defender Kyle Walker-Peters (left) is fouled by Brighton’s English midfielder Solly March (right) leading to a penalty during the English Premier League football match between Brighton and Hove Albion and Southampton at the American Express Community Stadium in Brighton, southern England on Monday. POOL/AFP

Saints take fifth on disputed VAR penalty victory

Danny Ings returned from injury to score a controversial winner from the penalty spot as Southampton came from behind to beat Brighton 2-1 on December 7 and climb to fifth in the Premier League.

Brighton took the lead from the spot, with Pascal Gross sending goalkeeper Alex McCarthy the wrong way after James Ward-Prowse handled the ball in the area.

Ralph Hasenhuttl’s men found an equaliser just before half-time, when Jan Vestergaard produced a towering header from a Ward-Prowse corner.

Then, with nine minutes remaining, substitute Ings fired home after Southampton were awarded a spot-kick, with Brighton players claiming the foul took place outside the area.

Hasenhuttl was delighted to see his team grind out a win while not at their best.

“I didn’t see the first penalty,” he said. “For the second one, that is why we have VAR, especially when it is about decisions if it is in or not then you need this.

“I think it was clear inside the box. It is not nice to get a penalty against you but the decision from what I have seen was relatively clear.”

Brighton started the match brightly in front of 2,000 supporters – back in the stadium for the first time in nine months after the easing of coronavirus restrictions.

They took the lead in the 26th minute when referee David Coote pointed to the spot after a Danny Welbeck cross hit the raised arms of Ward-Prowse and Gross converted.

Brighton looked to get forward at every opportunity while Southampton struggled to get going but Saints were level just before the break.

Ward-Prowse continued his impressive record from set-pieces, crossing the ball from a corner for Vestergaard to head past powerfully past Mat Ryan.

Ings, who had been out of action for five weeks, was brought on at the start of the second half.

With 13 minutes to go, Kyle Walker-Peters was brought down by Solly March. The referee initially awarded a free-kick before a lengthy VAR intervention changed the decision to a penalty.

Ings made no mistake and his side held on for the victory, which lifts Southampton to 20 points, one behind fourth-placed Leicester. Brighton stay 16th on 10 points.

Disappointed Brighton boss Graham Potter said the first challenge appeared to take place outside the box.

“I don’t know if there was a second but that’s what the referee seemed to think,” he told Sky Sports.

“I thought it was quite an even game so I’m disappointed with the result. If it’s factual and the offence is inside and they’ve proved that’s the case, then that’s what it’s there for and it’s what you have to accept.”

MOST VIEWED

  • Municipal hall releases map detailing colour coded Covid risks by commune

    Phnom Penh municipal governor Khuong Sreng released an official map detailing the red, yellow and dark yellow zones within the city under the new lockdown orders for Phnom Penh announced on April 26. The designation of red, dark yellow and yellow corresponds to areas with high,

  • Inter-provincial travel ban lifted; Phnom Penh and Takmao not exempted

    The government on April 25 decided to lift the inter-provincial travel ban and the closure of tourist attractions across the country, effectively immediately. The travel ban and closures of all resorts were imposed on April 6 and 17 respectively in a bid to curb the spread of Covid-19,

  • Phnom Penh unveils rules for post-lockdown transition

    The Phnom Penh Municipal Administration issued a set of detailed guidelines for the seven days to May 12 after the capital emerges from lockdown at the onset of May 6. In the 14-page document signed by municipal governor Khuong Sreng released on the evening of May 5, the

  • Phnom Penh, Takmao lockdown extended for another week

    The government late on April 26 announced an extension of lockdown in Phnom Penh and adjacent Takmao town in Kandal province for another seven days – or longer if residents do not comply with Covid-19 preventive measures and the community outbreak does not subside – until May 5. According

  • Gov't mulls extension of Phnom Penh, Takmao lockdown

    The Inter-ministerial National Commission for the Control and Enforcement of Lockdown held a video conference meeting on April 25 to review a draft document on the extension of lockdown in Phnom Penh and adjacent Kandal province’s Takmao town. The meeting was chaired by Minister of

  • Gov’t issues guidelines as lockdown nears end

    The government has issued a five-page set of instructions to be enforced when the three-week lockdown of Phnom Penh and adjacent Takmao town in Kandal province ends on May 6. According to an announcement signed by Prime Minister Hun Sen on May 4, the instructions cover a