Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Syrian blowout ends Cambodia’s Cup run




Syrian blowout ends Cambodia’s Cup run

Syrian blowout ends Cambodia’s Cup run

Cambodia’s historic journey through previously unchartered territory in the World Cup qualifying cycle ended late on Thursday night with a 6-0 blowout at the hands of a rugged Syrian side in a Group E clash at the sparsely filled Al-Seeb Stadium in Muscat.

There were around 100 home fans in the 14,000 capacity stadium watching a physically superior Syria ruthlessly exploit a rickety Cambodian defence to record an impressive scoreline, identical to the one they had delivered at Phnom Penh’s Olympic Stadium in their first leg clash on September 8 last year.

But for millions of war-ravaged Syrians, the national team’s sixth win out of seven outings came as a silver lining in nearly four years of gloom and doom.

The victory left Syria just one point behind leaders Japan as the two sides head for a massive showdown tomorrow at Tokyo’s Saitama Stadium to decide the group toppers, who will be assured of a ticket to the 12-team third round to be played between in August and September of next year.

As Cambodia returned home empty-handed with eight defeats in the five-team group phase, Syria left Muscat in a celebratory mood, their place in the third round likely secure even if they fail to get the revenge against Japan for the first leg 3-0 defeat.

The eight group winners and four best runners-up make the next phase. While Japan have already clinched their third round spot no matter what the result tomorrow, Syria’s record holds up very well among the second placed teams.

MOST VIEWED

  • Body of woman killed in Bangkok returns

    The Cambodian embassy in Thailand is working to repatriate the body of a casino dealer who was shot dead in Bangkok on Monday night. Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation spokesman Kuy Kuong told The Post on Wednesday that officials are preparing paperwork to

  • Chikungunya hits 15 provinces, says gov’t

    Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said on Thursday that the chikungunya outbreak in the Kingdom has spread to 15 provinces. Some 1,700 people are now suspected to have the disease. Vandine urged people to prevent its further spread by eliminating shelters for the Aedes aegypti mosquitoes

  • Gov’t exempts visa A and B holders from Covid fees

    Airline passengers who are diplomats and officials of international organisations holding Type A and B visas for travel to Cambodia are exempted from paying Covid-19 testing fees, said the Ministry of Health in its latest adjustment of rules on Wednesday. Health Minister Mam Bun Heng

  • Police arrest 29 Chinese for kidnapping in capital

    Phnom Penh Military Police arrested 29 Chinese nationals on kidnapping charges on Wednesday. The suspects are said to have abducted three other Chinese nationals from a hotel in Chaktomuk commune, Daun Penh district. The operation took place on Wednesday and was led by two deputy commanders –

  • Bill covering dress code draws ire

    Ministry of Interior secretary of state Ouk Kim Lek responded on Tuesday to criticism concerning a draft law that would ban women from wearing overly revealing clothing, saying that input from all parties will be considered as the law moves through the promulgation process. Several

  • What’s the deal with Cambodia and China’s FTA?

    Cambodia’s Free Trade Agreement (FTA) with China kicks off a series of FTAs in future but for now, critics wonder what else the parties could bring to the table apart from what it already has to date By the end of this year, Cambodia