Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Thailand snap up Futures event after Vietnam snub




Thailand snap up Futures event after Vietnam snub

Thailand snap up Futures event after Vietnam snub

Thailand has stepped in to host the third and final leg of the ITF Men’s Asian Circuit Futures Tournament, which is part of Cambodia’s three tennis events package, after Vietnam backed out of its commitment at the last minute.

In all likelihood, the event will be staged in Bangkok from February 7 to 14 following the two Futures tourneys the Tennis Federation of Cambodia will be hosting back-to-back in Phnom Penh at their National Training Centre from January 24.

The ITF had offered the TFC a three-in-one Futures option three months ago, but the federation opted to keep two of those tournaments and pass one on to a neighbouring country.

Thailand, Laos and Malaysia were reluctant to jump in at the time and Vietnam, after initial hesitation, had accepted the offer.

But to the TFC’s chagrin, the Vietnam Tennis Federation announced a few days ago that they were pulling out, citing no particular reason for the sudden change of heart. While speculation centred around financial difficulties, the Vietnam tennis officials remained tightlipped as to what went wrong.

With time running out, the TFC had no option but to call in the world tennis governing body to sort things out. The Lawn Tennis association of Thailand responded favourably to the ITF’s appeal and agreed to fill the breach.

The ITF conveyed Thailand’s decision to the TFC yesterday, bringing to an end a week of “nervous expectation,” as the TFC Secretary General Tep Rithivit put it.

“On one hand, the TFC is happy that Thailand is stepping in to save the situation. On the other we are terribly disappointed that Vietnam could not hold the event,” said Tep Rithivit.

“There sure is some disruption here and there, but overall we feel relieved that the issue has been resolved. We can now concentrate on our end of the bargain.”

It remains unclear whether the ITF will pursue punitive action on Vietnam for this late withdrawal.

MOST VIEWED

  • PM: West unfair to Cambodia

    Prime Minister Hun Sen released a message celebrating the International Day of Peace on Monday, saying that some major powers and western countries had been systemically cooperating to put political pressure on Cambodia as they did in the 1970s and 1980s. Hun Sen said pressuring

  • First ‘mobile kitchen’ in Cambodia enters service

    A catering company recently rolled out Cambodia’s first “mobile kitchen” – a $50,000 container capable of serving up to 200 people at a time. The kitchen is the brainchild of Seng Hok Heng Catering Services. At 4.4m-high, 6.8m-long and 2.4m-wide (expandable to 6.8m), the kitchen is equipped

  • Kingdom, China rebut basis for US sanctions

    The Council for the Development of Cambodia, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation, and Tianjin Union Investment Development Group Co Ltd (Tianjin) have responded to US sanctions on Union Development Group Co Ltd (UDG), a Chinese-owned company currently developing the sprawling $3.8 billion Dara

  • ‘Bad news is an investor’s best friend’ – unlocking investment potential in Cambodia

    It is time to shop. Economic woes provide good pickings for investors if they know where to look The poem If, written by English Nobel laureate poet and novelist Rudyard Kipling for his son circa 1895, is widely perceived as fatherly advice for John who would

  • PM requests Russia’s Covid vaccine

    Prime Minister Hun Sen has requested that Russia provide Cambodia with its Covid-19 vaccine after the former announced it planned on mass vaccinating its population next month. The request came on Thursday through the prime minister’s Facebook page as he met with Anatoly Borovik,

  • Influenza breaks out in eight provinces

    Nearly 600 people have been infected with influenza in eight provinces in the past month, Ministry of Health spokesperson Or Vandine said. The ministry is advising extreme caution. A report released by Vandine on Saturday said the Ministry of Health observed transmissions of influenza between August 15