Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Top-ranked Johnson shares Pebble Beach lead with red-hot Potter



Top-ranked Johnson shares Pebble Beach lead with red-hot Potter

Top-ranked Johnson shares Pebble Beach lead with red-hot Potter

Dustin Johnson rolled in a 10-foot birdie putt at the 18th on Saturday to grab a share of the Pebble Beach National Pro-Am lead with Ted Potter Jr, who flirted with a 59.

World No1 Johnson fired an eagle and four birdies in his two-under par 70 at Pebble Beach Golf Links, one of three tournaments in use for the first three rounds of the PGA Tour event.

Potter was chasing history at the par-71 Monterey Peninsula layout, where he teed off on 10 and played his first seven holes in seven under par with five birdies and an eagle.

Potter added four more birdies after the turn to seize the solo lead and take his total for the round to 11-under. He needed one more birdie to post just the 10th sub-60 round ever on the US PGA Tour.

But he closed with back-to-back bogeys to settle for a nine-under 62 and a share of the lead with Johnson on 14-under 201.

Potter’s only prior US PGA Tour win came at the Greenbrier Classic back in 2012. In 2014 he broke his right ankle in a freak accident stepping off a kerb. The injury required surgery and he has battled back since, earning his PGA Tour card via the Web.com Tour last season.

Today he’ll be in the hunt along with Johnson – who opened 2018 with a dominant victory in the Tournament of Champions last month – and former world No1 Jason Day of Australia.

Day, winner at Torrey Pines two weeks ago, had six birdies in a three-under par 69 at Pebble Beach for a 12-under total of 203.

He was tied with Troy Merritt who signed for a 69 at Monterrey Peninsula.

World No2 Jon Rahm of Spain fired a 70 at the par-72 Spyglass Hill to head a group on 204 that also included Steve Stricker (70) and Patrick Rodgers (69).

MOST VIEWED

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Cambodia gears up for muted New Year festival

    The recent curfew and restrictions imposed in the capital and other Covid-19 hotspots were intended to break the chain of transmission, Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said as municipal and provincial authorities issued new directives banning certain activities during the upcoming Khmer New Year

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting

  • Covid-19 vaccination now obligatory

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on April 11 issued a sub-decree making Covid-19 vaccination compulsory for individuals unless they have a medical certificate proving they have pre-existing health conditions that prevent them from doing so. «This applies to all members of the armed forces and civil servants