Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Typhoon forces re-scheduling at Philippine SEA Games



Typhoon forces re-scheduling at Philippine SEA Games

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Typhoon Kammuri has caused approximately 16 events at the Southeast Asian Games in the Philippines to be postponed. AFP

Typhoon forces re-scheduling at Philippine SEA Games

Powerful Typhoon Kammuri forced organisers of the Southeast Asian Games in the Philippines to reschedule about half of the events set for Tuesday, but they pledged the competition would finish on time.

The storm, which made landfall late on Monday, wrought particular havoc on water-based and outdoor events, causing approximately 16 of them to be postponed.

However, roughly 17 other competitions – primarily indoor ones – were supposed to go ahead as planned, a statement from the organisers said.

“It’s not safe to play and we apologise,” Ramon Suzara, the organising committee’s chief operating officer, told a news conference, announcing the rescheduling.

Kammuri brought high winds and heavy rains across the northern Philippines, but did not directly hit the region around the capital Manila, which is home to the three main event hubs.

The storm’s potent gusts also forced officials to close Manila’s international airport as a precaution, which will delay several basketball teams for the 5x5 competition that starts on Wednesday.

Organisers stressed that the Games, which opened Saturday, won’t “go beyond its scheduled finish on December 11”.

“We are prepared to take the necessary precautionary measures to secure the safety of all of our guests and athletes,” their statement added.

Several sports were postponed at one of the main SEA Games clusters in Subic, including beach volleyball, canoe and kayaking, muay, pencak silat, sailing, windsurfing, modern pentathlon, surfing and sepak takraw.

Triathlon and duathlon events in Subic – on the west coast of the main island of Luzon in the country’s north – had already been brought forward.

All sports at the Manila cluster except for shooting went ahead as planned, while petanque at the main cluster in Clark was postponed.

Underwater hockey, skateboarding and polo, due to be held in southern Luzon, were also halted.

Organisers said they also cancelled a scheduled training for esports on Tuesday.

This year’s SEA Games in Clark, Manila and Subic, which started officially on December 1, are particularly complex with a record 56 sports across dozens of venues.

Around 8,750 athletes and team officials are expected at this year’s 30th edition, with another 12,000 volunteers.

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Hun Sen: Stay where you are, or else

    Prime Minister Hun Sen warned that the two-week lockdown of Phnom Penh and adjacent Kandal provincial town Takmao could be extended if people are not cooperative by staying home. “Now let me make this clear: stay in your home, village, and district and remain where

  • Businesses in capital told to get travel permit amid lockdown through One Window Service

    The Phnom Penh Municipal Administration has issued guidelines on how to get travel permission for priority groups during the lockdown of Phnom Penh, directing private institutions to apply through the municipality's One Window Service and limit their staff to a mere two per cent. In

  • Ministry names types of business permitted amid lockdown

    The Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training singled out 11 types of business that are permitted to operate during the lockdown of Phnom Penh and Takmao town, which run through April 28. Those include (1) food-processing enterprises and slaughterhouses; (2) providers of public services such as firefighting, utility and

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting