Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Under fire Vettel gets support from rival Hamilton

Under fire Vettel gets support from rival Hamilton

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Ferrari's German driver Sebastian Vettel finds an unexpected supporter in Lewis Hamilton after he comes in for criticism following his poor recent performances. AFP

Under fire Vettel gets support from rival Hamilton

A beleaguered Sebastian Vettel received support from an unexpected source on Monday after another dismal outing for Ferrari in an action-packed British Grand Prix.

Two weeks ahead of his home German Grand Prix, the under-pressure four-time world champion endured a race to forget as he slipped 100 points adrift of the victorious record-breaking Lewis Hamilton of Mercedes by finishing a distant 16th.

Another in his growing catalogue of errors, when he slammed into the rear of Max Verstappen’s Red Bull and was forced to pit for a new nose, brought him a 10-second penalty and two points on his licence.

It was also the third consecutive race in which the 32-year-old German was beaten comprehensively by his teammate Charles Leclerc, who came home third.

The 21-year-old Monegasque is now only three points behind him and many observers suggested that Ferrari will have to make him their main priority, instead of Vettel, in the title race.

Those critics, however, do not include five-time champion and long-time rival Hamilton whose record sixth Silverstone win thrilled a sold-out crowd of 141,000.

“He’s had a difficult race today, but he’s a four-time world champion,” said Hamilton. “He will recover. He will redeem himself, if he feels he needs to, and he will come back stronger in the next race – that’s what great athletes do.”

Hamilton’s opinion was not shared by many keen Ferrari-observers who have watched Vettel declining in the last year, notably since crashing out of the lead on home soil at Hockenheim, gifting Hamilton victory and the impetus in last year’s championship.

Precocious talent

Recently married and a father of two girls, Vettel has lost his momentum at the same time that Leclerc – with four successive podiums – has gathered his to emerge alongside Verstappen, also 21, as a symbol of F1’s future.

Ironically, Vettel’s reputation was built on a precocious talent as a teenager before he became the youngest pole-sitter and race winner, aged 21, at the 2008 Italian Grand Prix, driving for the unfancied Toro Rosso team.

The second of those two records was taken from him when Verstappen, on his debut with Red Bull after moving from Toro Rosso, won the 2016 Spanish Grand Prix.

This year, Vettel has struggled for consistency and experienced misfortunes with a run of stewards’ decisions, but he rejected claims that he has lost his passion for racing and is heading towards retirement.

Ferrari team chief Mattia Binotto, a faithful Vettel supporter, has continued to back him as the team’s No1 driver.

Hamilton, who misses the threat of a rampant Ferrari team, said he has to imagine he has a competitor ahead, or on his tail, as he urges his former rival to bounce back.

“I loved competing with Ferrari and I wish that our battle was with them – it’s so different when you’re racing within a team,” he explained, after finishing 25 seconds ahead of Valtteri Bottas in another Mercedes one-two. Hamilton now leads Bottas by 39 points after ten of this year’s 21 races.

“I don’t feel necessarily that he [Bottas] is the only one chasing – I am still chasing! I try to put an imaginary individual ahead of myself . . . It’s my target to improve and beat my previous performances – I always give myself a goal to chase.”

MOST VIEWED

  • Cambodia armed with money laundering laws

    Money laundering will now carry a penalty of up to five years in prison while those convicted of financing terrorists will be jailed for up to 20 years, according to new laws promulgated by King Norodom Sihamoni and seen by The Post on Thursday. Comprising nine

  • Schools to be reopened in ‘three stages’

    With guidance from Prime Minister Hun Sen, the Ministry of Education, Youth and Sport, is in the process of reopening schools in three stages. But no timeline has been set, ministry spokesperson Ros Soveacha said on Thursday. Soveacha said the first stage will be to

  • Thai border crossings eased

    The Cambodian Embassy in Thailand said in an announcement on Wednesday that Thailand’s government has allowed certain passengers from several countries to enter its borders. The visitors must go back to their country immediately after their duties in Thailand are fulfilled, the embassy said.

  • Gov’t says tourism recovers slightly despite pandemic

    The Ministry of Tourism and the Phnom Penh municipal administration have recognised 33 tourism businesses in the capital which have consistently implemented safety measures for tourists and adhered to the code of conduct issued by the ministry. Recently, the ministry announced that tourism businesses had to

  • Mull ASEAN border opening, PM urges

    Prime Minister Hun Sen has requested that ASEAN launch a scenario for gradually reopening cross-border travel and trade between countries in the region. He said ASEAN has had more success combating Covid-19 compared to other regions. The prime minister’s request was made at the

  • Ministry reports 11 new Covid-19 cases, reiterates vigilance

    Minister of Health Mam Bun Heng has urged people to continue practising virus prevention techniques after 11 people tested positive for Covid-19 within two days after arriving in the Kingdom. Speaking on Sunday, Bun Heng stressed the importance of washing hands, wearing masks or scarves when

  • Koh Rong land ‘belongs to firm’

    Preah Sihanouk Provincial Administration spokesperson Kheang Phearum told The Post on Sunday that the 35ha being bulldozed by Royal Group Co Ltd in Koh Rong belongs to it after it was leased to it for 99 years by the government in 2008. Phearum said the land does

  • Nine on Indonesia flight Covid-19 positive

    The Ministry of Health on Saturday confirmed nine more imported cases of Covid-19. The nine ‒ eight Cambodians and one Indonesian, aged 22 to 26 ‒ arrived in Cambodia on Thursday via a direct flight from Indonesia and are receiving treatment at the Khmer-Soviet Friendship Hostipal in Phnom Penh.

  • Kingdom’s financial sector healthy

    Cambodia's financial sector remains on a sustainable growth path despite the Covid-19 pandemic squeezing crucial industries, National Bank of Cambodia (NBC) governor Chea Chanto said. Tourism, garments and footwear have borne the brunt of the Covid-19 impact, he said, whereas the financial and agriculture sectors

  • Vietnam told to remove border tents

    Kandal provincial governor Kong Sophoan has ordered local authorities to prohibit the construction of buildings in areas bordering Cambodia and to report any irregularities immediately. Recently, Vietnamese officials removed another seven tents from the border area with Cambodia. His remarks were made on Wednesday afternoon