Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - US PGA Tour’s Zozo Championship to go ahead in Japan despite Covid



US PGA Tour’s Zozo Championship to go ahead in Japan despite Covid

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Tiger Woods of the US tees off at the 18th hole during the final round of the PGA Zozo Championship golf tournament at the Narashino Country Club in Inzai, Chiba prefecture, on October 28, 2019. AFP

US PGA Tour’s Zozo Championship to go ahead in Japan despite Covid

The US PGA Tour’s Zozo Championship will be held in Japan as planned next month, organisers announced Tuesday, after fears it could be moved for the second year running because of the coronavirus pandemic.

The inaugural edition of Japan’s first US PGA Tour event in 2019 was memorably won by Tiger Woods, but last year’s tournament was moved to California because of the virus.

There had been speculation it could be relocated again this year, after the other two tournaments on the US PGA Tour’s “Asian Swing” fell victim to the Covid-19 pandemic.

The CJ Cup, beginning October 14, has been moved from South Korea to Las Vegas, while Shanghai’s World Golf Championships-HSBC Champions, scheduled for October 28-31, has been cancelled for the second successive year.

But PGA Tour chiefs said Tuesday that the Zozo Championship would go ahead as planned at Accordia Golf Narashino Country Club in Chiba, east of Tokyo, from October 21-24.

A decision on whether fans will attend has yet to be taken.

“We are confident our tournament will showcase world-class golf once again,” US PGA Tour’s international executive vice president Ty Votaw said in a statement.

The Zozo Championship was launched to great fanfare in 2019, with Woods thrilling huge crowds.

The 15-time major winner led from gun to tape to finish three strokes clear of local favourite Hideki Matsuyama, with Rory McIlroy third.

The victory saw Woods tie the all-time mark of 82 US PGA Tour wins held by the legendary Sam Snead.

This year’s tournament will offer a $9.95 million purse, with an elite field of 78 competing, though details of players have not yet been confirmed.

Last year’s winner, at Sherwood Country Club, Thousand Oaks, was Patrick Cantlay, who finished one stroke ahead of Jon Rahm and Justin Thomas. A

MOST VIEWED

  • Hun Sen: Full country reopening to be decided in two weeks

    Prime Minister Hun Sen has announced that if the Covid-19 situation remains stable for 15 consecutive days from the end of the October 5-7 Pchum Ben public holiday, Cambodia will reopen fully, albeit in the context of Covid-19 whereby people have to adjust their lives to

  • Cambodia sets new Covid-19 quarantine rules

    The government has modified Covid-19 quarantine requirements, shortening the duration for, among others, Cambodian officials, foreign diplomats and delegations, investors and inbound travellers in general. According to an official notice signed by Minister of Health Mam Bun Heng late on October 16, quarantine length for Cambodian

  • Cambodia unveils new quarantine regulations

    The government has modified Covid-19 quarantine requirements, shortening the duration for, among others, Cambodian officials, foreign diplomats and delegations, investors and inbound travellers in general. According to an official notice signed by Minister of Health Mam Bun Heng late on October 16, quarantine length for Cambodian

  • Will Evergrande change the way Chinese developers do business in Cambodia?

    China’s property sector policy has exposed the grim financial condition of real estate developers including those operating in Cambodia, which raises questions over the viability of their projects and business going forward The dark blue netting draping over one of Yuetai Group Co Ltd’

  • Hun Sen: Cambodia set to fully reopen

    Prime Minister Hun Sen concludes that the October 5-7 Pchum Ben public holiday, during which many people either flocked to their hometowns for family reunion or gathered at tourist attractions across the country, has not caused an outbreak of Covid-19. In a special address to

  • Phnom Penh governor: Show Covid-19 vaccination cards, or else

    Phnom Penh municipal governor Khuong Sreng late on October 5 issued a directive requiring all people aged 18 and over and the parents of children aged 6-17 to produce Covid-19 vaccination cards when entering schools, markets, malls, marts, eateries and other business establishments that have been permitted