Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Venus ousts defending champ to reach quarters

Venus ousts defending champ to reach quarters

Venus Williams plays a shot Johanna Konta during their match at the Miami Open at Crandon Park Tennis Center on Monday. AFP
Venus Williams plays a shot Johanna Konta during their match at the Miami Open at Crandon Park Tennis Center on Monday. AFP

Venus ousts defending champ to reach quarters

Seven-time grand slam winner Venus Williams exacted revenge on reigning Miami Open champion Johanna Konta on Monday with a superlative display to book her place in the quarterfinals.

In a repeat of last year’s semifinal – which was won by the British No1Konta – it was the 37-year-old American who showed no signs of fatigue to power home 5-7, 6-1, 6-2 in two hours and 19 minutes.

The three-time Key Biscayne champion now faces either Monica Puig or American Danielle Collins.

It was an impressive display by the veteran Williams who seemed puzzled when quizzed about her longevity.

“I don’t see what 37 years old has to do with it,” said Williams. “She couldn’t get a rhythm to her game which helped me, but everyone I play makes it tough against me so there are no easy matches.”

Williams also had to work hard in a three-hour battle on Sunday for her passage into the fourth round, fighting off three match points before eventually seeing off Kiki Bertens.

It was the Briton who started the more assuredly on Monday. Konta broke the Williams straight away to set down an early marker in their first meeting since the semifinals at Wimbledon last summer which resulted in home heartbreak for the 26-year-old.

‘Appreciate players who fight’

Williams faced more break points in the third, although this time the danger was averted, thanks to some powerful serves.

“You have to fight for every point,” she said. “Everyone is so good now. I feel very focused.”

Just when the erratic Konta needed to put her foot on the accelerator, it was William who responded superbly to put her opponent firmly on the backfoot.

Indeed, Konta’s game seemed to totally desert her. She hit just one winner in the second set as the American began to dominate and send the encounter into a decider, which began with Konta receiving lengthy treatment for a back problem.

“My body didn’t adapt to the conditions – it was quite swirly out there – and that puts strain on your body,” said Konta.

“It wasn’t so much a back injury. It was a muscle spasm more than anything else. I just wanted to make sure it didn’t turn into something serious.”

Konta, who has now slipped from No14 to No22 in the world, added: “You always have to appreciate players who fight through matches like she does, especially considering how long she’s been playing.”

Williams will be joined in the quarters by compatriot Sloane Stephens, who powered past world No3 Garbine Muguruza as the seeds continued to fall.

US Open champion Stephens dominated Spain’s reigning Wimbledon champion Muguruza to record a 6-3, 6-4 win.

Stephens, the world No12, will face Germany’s Angelique Kerber for a place in the semifinals.

Kerber made to sweat

Muguruza had been the highest ranked player left in the women’s draw following the early exits of world No1 Simona Halep and Caroline Wozniacki.

Meanwhile, former world No1 Kerber was made to sweat in her gruelling clash with China’s Wang Yafan before prevailing 6-7 (1/7), 7-6 (7/5), 6-3.

Earlier on Monday, Czech fifth seed Karolina Pliskova booked her place in the last eight after opponent Zarina Diyas retired in the second set.

Pliskova was leading 6-2, 2-1 when the Kazakh player abandoned with an injury.

Elsewhere, former world No1 Victoria Azarenka saw off Agnieszka Radwanska 6-2 6-2.

MOST VIEWED

  • Cambodia rejects UN rights claim

    Cambodia's Permanent Mission to the UN Office in Geneva on Friday hit back at David Kaye, the UN special rapporteur on the Promotion and Protection of the Right to Freedom of Opinion and Expression after he raised concerns over the repression of free speech and

  • Snaring may spawn diseases

    The World Wildlife Fund (WWF) has warned that snaring of animals has become a crisis that poses a serious risk to wildlife in Southeast Asia and could spawn the transmission of zoonotic diseases to humans. Its July 9 report entitled Silence of the Snares: Southeast Asia’

  • Ex-party leader, gov’t critic named as secretary of state

    A former political party leader known for being critical of the government has been appointed secretary of state at the Ministry of Rural Development, a royal decree dated July 9 said. Sourn Serey Ratha, the former president of the Khmer Power Party (KPP), told The Post

  • Residence cards set for over 80,000 immigrants

    The Ministry of Interior plans to grant residence cards to more than 80,000 immigrants to better keep track of them. The ministry announced the plan on July 10, following the results of an immigration census. “An inter-ministerial committee and many operational working groups have been set up

  • Kingdom produces PPE gear

    Medical supplies from Cambodia have been donated to member countries of the Asian Development Bank (ADB) to assist in the fight against Covid-19, said an ADB report published on July 9. The report stated that the supplies were donated as a response to global efforts to

  • Kingdom, US vow stronger ties

    At an academic forum on Saturday to celebrate 70 years of Cambodia-US diplomatic ties, Cambodian researchers and officials expressed hope of encouraging US investments and for that country to deepen and improve its bilateral relations. Held at the Royal Academy of Cambodia, it reviewed the past 70

  • Fifteen Cambodians from Saudi get Covid-19

    The Ministry of Health on Sunday confirmed 15 more imported cases of Covid. The 15 men ‒ all Cambodian aged 21 to 33 ‒ arrived from Saudi Arabia on Friday via a connecting flight in Malaysia. They were travelling with 79 other passengers, three of them women. The ministry said 80 of the

  • Ministry requests school opening

    The Ministry of Education, Youth and Sport on Thursday said it would request a decision from Prime Minister Hun Sen to allow a small number of schools to reopen next month. Ministry spokesman Ros Soveacha said if the request is granted, higher-standard schools will reopen

  • Kingdom eyes India FTA, China deal set for August

    Cambodia is studying the possibility of establishing a bilateral free trade agreement (FTA) with India to open a new market with the second-largest regional economy. This comes as an FTA with China is scheduled to be signed next month while similar negotiations with South Korea

  • Judge lands in court after crashing into alleged thief

    Sen Sok district police on Thursday sent a Koh Kong Provincial Court judge to the Phnom Penh Municipal Court on manslaughter charges after he crashed his car into a woman riding a motorbike on Wednesday, killing her. District police chief Hour Meng Vang told The