Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Verstappen in ‘punch’ incident

Verstappen in ‘punch’ incident

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Mercedes’ Lewis Hamilton (left) celebrates after winning the Brazilian GP as Red Bull’s Max Verstappen shows his dejection at Interlagos in Brazil on Sunday. EVARISTO SA/AFP

Verstappen in ‘punch’ incident

Dutch driver Max Verstappen was accused of trying to punch French rival Esteban Ocon after a controversial clash at Sunday’s Brazilian Grand Prix, which was won by five-time world champion Lewis Hamilton.

Red Bull star Verstappen was seen on TV pushing Force India’s Ocon three times and accused of threatening to hit him, after the pair had collided on the track.

The collision on lap 44 of the 71-lap race at Interlagos’s famed Senna S curves cost Verstappen the race and he had to settle for second place.

The livid Dutchman, 21, had earlier said he did not see the Frenchman in the paddock after the race, but made no effort to avoid him in the drivers’ weighing room where he walked straight at him.

“We were at the scales room,” said Ocon. “He wanted to punch me. He pushed me and he was wanting to be violent. It was not professional.”

Ocon added that his rivalry with Verstappen “goes back a few years” and said he “has always been the same”.

“I was behind Max for two laps,” Ocon told Sky Sports. “On the first lap, I was a lot faster and on the second lap I was a lot faster. The rules say you are allowed to un-lap yourself, so that’s what I did.

“I’m used to the fights with Max. He’s always been the same. It goes back a few years.”

Verstappen swore so much on team radio that his comments were bleeped out after he described him as an “idiot”.

Ocon was given a 10-second stop-go penalty by the race stewards for causing the collision.

A video clip of the post-race incident went viral soon afterwards but Verstappen said he had no regrets.

“He came out of the pit lane and he had the right to overtake, but the level of risk he was taking, it was not right,” he explained.

“The stewards gave him a penalty. You can say ‘Max, you should have given room’, but we were not racing and you don’t expect that.”

Asked about confronting and pushing Ocon, he said: “We are all passionate about the sport, but it would be odd if I shook his hand. I don’t care what people say.

“I’m a winner. To get taken out by that and to get a stupid response from their side, I was not happy about that.”

Verstappen told his team over the radio on the slowdown lap that he had better not bump into Ocon because there could be trouble.

The Ocon incident overshadowed a brilliant drive from Verstappen who had charged from fifth on the grid to take the lead.

“The car was working brilliant today. I don’t know what to say. I am happy for second, but we should have won,” added Verstappen.

Five in a row for Mercedes

Verstappen’s Red Bull team boss Christian Horner said: “I think Max has been pretty restrained. It cost him a Grand Prix victory.

“He’s driven his heart out with a damaged car – Esteban was lucky to get away with a push, to be honest. Emotions are running high and I told him to just get yourself under control on the cool down lap. Max has lost a victory through no fault of his own today.

“What on earth Ocon was thinking there – it just beggars belief. Why on earth is he racing the leader?”

Later on Sunday, Verstappen was ordered by the FIA to perform “two days of public service” as punishment for the incident.

Verstappen was “extremely upset by the incident on the track” and the stewards said they accepted his explanation that it was not his intention to strike Ocon, but that he was ‘triggered’ and this caused him to lose his temper, said a statement.

Meanwhile, 33-year-old Hamilton took advantage of the collision that cost Verstappen the lead in the closing stages to regain the initiative and then hang on with worn tyres as the Red Bull came home second.

His win allowed Mercedes to claim a fifth successive constructors’ title.

Kimi Raikkonen finished third on his 150th start for Ferrari ahead of Daniel Ricciardo in the second Red Bull, Valtteri Bottas in the second Mercedes and Sebastian Vettel who came home sixth for Ferrari.

The result ended Ferrari’s hopes of stopping Mercedes’ title triumph and brought Hamilton his 10th win of the year and 72nd of his career. It was also the first time he had won a late-season race after winning the drivers’ title.

“It was an honour to drive for [Mercedes] today,” said Hamilton.

Charles Leclerc finished seventh for Sauber ahead of the two Haas cars driven by Romain Grosjean and Kevin Magnussen with Sergio Perez 10th for Force India.

MOST VIEWED

  • Cambodia rejects UN rights claim

    Cambodia's Permanent Mission to the UN Office in Geneva on Friday hit back at David Kaye, the UN special rapporteur on the Promotion and Protection of the Right to Freedom of Opinion and Expression after he raised concerns over the repression of free speech and

  • Ex-party leader, gov’t critic named as secretary of state

    A former political party leader known for being critical of the government has been appointed secretary of state at the Ministry of Rural Development, a royal decree dated July 9 said. Sourn Serey Ratha, the former president of the Khmer Power Party (KPP), told The Post

  • Residence cards set for over 80,000 immigrants

    The Ministry of Interior plans to grant residence cards to more than 80,000 immigrants to better keep track of them. The ministry announced the plan on July 10, following the results of an immigration census. “An inter-ministerial committee and many operational working groups have been set up

  • Fifteen Cambodians from Saudi get Covid-19

    The Ministry of Health on Sunday confirmed 15 more imported cases of Covid. The 15 men ‒ all Cambodian aged 21 to 33 ‒ arrived from Saudi Arabia on Friday via a connecting flight in Malaysia. They were travelling with 79 other passengers, three of them women. The ministry said 80 of the

  • Ministry requests school opening

    The Ministry of Education, Youth and Sport on Thursday said it would request a decision from Prime Minister Hun Sen to allow a small number of schools to reopen next month. Ministry spokesman Ros Soveacha said if the request is granted, higher-standard schools will reopen

  • Kingdom eyes India FTA, China deal set for August

    Cambodia is studying the possibility of establishing a bilateral free trade agreement (FTA) with India to open a new market with the second-largest regional economy. This comes as an FTA with China is scheduled to be signed next month while similar negotiations with South Korea

  • Judge lands in court after crashing into alleged thief

    Sen Sok district police on Thursday sent a Koh Kong Provincial Court judge to the Phnom Penh Municipal Court on manslaughter charges after he crashed his car into a woman riding a motorbike on Wednesday, killing her. District police chief Hour Meng Vang told The

  • Vietnamese workers in Koh Kong questioned

    The General Department of Immigration (GDI) is questioning 49 Vietnamese nationals who were working illegally in Koh Kong province to build a case and send them back to Vietnam, its Department of Investigation and Procedure director Kem Sarin said on Thursday. GDI forces and provincial authorities

  • Preah Vihear court drops charges against villagers

    The Preah Vihear Provincial Court has dropped all charges against eight ethnic Kuoy villagers who were in a land dispute with the Hengfu Group Sugar Industry Co Ltd since 2014. Wednesday’s decision was made by the judge who tried the case on June 10. The eight

  • Gov’t to boost Siem Reap tourism

    The Ministry of Tourism released the results of an inter-ministerial committee meeting concerning Siem Reap province’s Tourism Development Master Plan for 2020-2035 on Wednesday, revealing the government’s plan to improve the overall tourist landscape there. The meeting was attended by Minister of Tourism