Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Virus alarms linger on as MLS returns




Virus alarms linger on as MLS returns

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Major League Soccer is returning from its coronavirus shutdown four months after the US league was forced to suspend its season. AFP

Virus alarms linger on as MLS returns

Major League Soccer (MLS) returns from its coronavirus shutdown on Wednesday when Orlando City take on Inter Miami in the opening game of a comeback tournament which has been disrupted by team and player withdrawals.

Four months after the league was forced to suspend its season as the Covid-19 pandemic swept across North America, 25 MLS teams are in Orlando, Florida for the league’s month-long “MLS is Back” competition.

Like the NBA, MLS chiefs elected to launch the league’s return to competition inside a protective “bubble” at ESPN’s Wide World of Sports Complex at Disney World in Orlando, Florida.

Games will take place without spectators, while players and coaches will be required to adhere to strict safety protocols designed to mitigate the risk posed by the coronavirus.

Yet a troubled build-up has highlighted the complexities of organising a sporting competition featuring multiple teams from Canada and the United States against the backdrop of a pandemic which so far has claimed more than 133,000 lives in the US alone.

On Monday, FC Dallas were abruptly withdrawn from the tournament after it emerged 10 players and a technical assistant with the team had all tested positive for coronavirus.

That development was followed by confirmation of another cluster of cases inside the Nashville SC camp since their arrival in Orlando.

Five Nashville players have tested positive for the disease while four other players face further testing. Nashville’s opening game of the tournament – scheduled for Wednesday against Chicago Fire – has been postponed.

Meanwhile, player unease about playing in Florida – where Covid-19 cases have exploded in recent weeks – was reflected in the decision of Los Angeles FC star Carlos Vela to skip the event.

Mexico international Vela, the reigning league Most Valuable Player, is remaining in California to be with his pregnant wife.

‘Players are safe’

MLS commissioner Don Garber however struck a bullish tone in an interview with ESPN’s SportsCenter on Monday, insisting that the league was in a “pretty good spot” despite the withdrawal of Dallas.

“We have 550 players that have already been tested and 13 of them have tested positive,” Garber told ESPN. “Right now it’s an extremely low percentage. The players that are there [in Orlando] are safe, they’re comfortable, they’re training, they’re eating, they’re recreating.

“They’re doing the things in accordance with our protocols – they’re wearing masks, they’re socially distancing. They’re managing their lives in a bubble.”

Garber however signalled that the league would not hesitate to halt the restart if Covid-19 cases made it too dangerous to continue.

“We’re going to make the right decisions as it relates to the health and safety of our players,” Garber said. “And right now the protocol is working.”

While the vast majority of MLS players have travelled to Orlando, there remains unease among some participants.

Columbus goalkeeper Matt Lampson has travelled despite being a cancer survivor who could be particularly at risk if infected with Covid-19.

“For everyone in the ‘These are pro athletes. There is no risk. Nothing happens to them if they get the virus’ camp – I am high risk,” Lampson wrote on Twitter. And I know for a fact there are multiple others at #MLSisBack that are as well – including other players on their way here. This is serious.”

Inter Miami midfielder Wil Trapp said learning of other players being infected with Covid-19 had been unsettling.

“It’s certainly something that we’ve abruptly been faced with,” Trapp said. “We’re players who want to play, that’s one part of it, but we’re also human beings and this is bigger at times than sports.”

MOST VIEWED

  • PM: West unfair to Cambodia

    Prime Minister Hun Sen released a message celebrating the International Day of Peace on Monday, saying that some major powers and western countries had been systemically cooperating to put political pressure on Cambodia as they did in the 1970s and 1980s. Hun Sen said pressuring

  • First ‘mobile kitchen’ in Cambodia enters service

    A catering company recently rolled out Cambodia’s first “mobile kitchen” – a $50,000 container capable of serving up to 200 people at a time. The kitchen is the brainchild of Seng Hok Heng Catering Services. At 4.4m-high, 6.8m-long and 2.4m-wide (expandable to 6.8m), the kitchen is equipped

  • Kingdom, China rebut basis for US sanctions

    The Council for the Development of Cambodia, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation, and Tianjin Union Investment Development Group Co Ltd (Tianjin) have responded to US sanctions on Union Development Group Co Ltd (UDG), a Chinese-owned company currently developing the sprawling $3.8 billion Dara

  • ‘Bad news is an investor’s best friend’ – unlocking investment potential in Cambodia

    It is time to shop. Economic woes provide good pickings for investors if they know where to look The poem If, written by English Nobel laureate poet and novelist Rudyard Kipling for his son circa 1895, is widely perceived as fatherly advice for John who would

  • Influenza breaks out in eight provinces

    Nearly 600 people have been infected with influenza in eight provinces in the past month, Ministry of Health spokesperson Or Vandine said. The ministry is advising extreme caution. A report released by Vandine on Saturday said the Ministry of Health observed transmissions of influenza between August 15

  • PM requests Russia’s Covid vaccine

    Prime Minister Hun Sen has requested that Russia provide Cambodia with its Covid-19 vaccine after the former announced it planned on mass vaccinating its population next month. The request came on Thursday through the prime minister’s Facebook page as he met with Anatoly Borovik,