Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Wembley to host over 60,000 fans for semis and final



Wembley to host over 60,000 fans for semis and final

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Fans cheer before the start of the England versus Scotland Euro 2020 Group D match at Wembley Stadium in London on June 18. AFP

Wembley to host over 60,000 fans for semis and final

More than 60,000 fans will be allowed to attend the semi-finals and final of Euro 2020 at Wembley with attendance increased to 75 per cent of capacity, the British government announced on Tuesday.

The matches will see the largest crowds assembled at a sporting event in Britain for more than 15 months, with numbers previously strictly limited due to the coronavirus pandemic.

All ticket holders at Wembley will need to follow a number of strict entry requirements, including having a negative Covid-19 test or proof of full vaccination.

‘Beacon of hope’

There has been no announcement on the outcome of talks between the government, the Football Association and Uefa over a solution to allow up to 2,500 VIPs to attend the final on July 11 but a deal now appears more likely.

“We have worked extremely closely with Uefa and the FA to ensure rigorous and tight public health measures are in place whilst allowing more fans to see the action live.

“The finals promise to be an unforgettable moment in our national recovery from the pandemic,” said British culture and sport secretary Oliver Dowden.

Uefa had stressed there were no plans to take the semi-finals or final away from Wembley, despite the stumbling block of quarantine-free travel, and the president of European football’s governing body Aleksander Ceferin welcomed the announcement of the increased capacity.

“The last 18 months have taught us – both on and off the pitch – how integral fans are to the fabric of the game,” said Ceferin.

“This tournament has been a beacon of hope to reassure people that we are returning to a more normal way of life and this is a further step along that road.”

Prime Minister Boris Johnson’s official spokesman earlier gave an upbeat message on the issue of the VIP attendance but declined to confirm whether an agreement had already been reached with Uefa.

“We’re looking forward to putting on a fantastic semi-finals and final at Wembley, and will do so safely and securely,” he said.

The Puskas Arena in Budapest had been floated as a potential alternative should the matches not be able to go ahead in London, while Italian Prime Minister Mario Draghi also suggested Rome could step in.

He voiced concerns over the increase in coronavirus infections in Britain.

The highly contagious Delta variant, first detected in India, has fuelled a spike in new cases in Britain and forced the government to delay planned reopenings.

The UK government has a difficult path to tread, with any decision to ease the rules for Uefa officials and sponsors likely to prove controversial.

The ability of British people to travel on holiday has been restricted by rules enforcing a strict period of self-isolation or quarantine on their return.

Having hosted all three of England’s group matches, Wembley Stadium in northwest London is also set to host five games in the knockout stages, including both semi-finals and the final.

Some of the biggest events in Britain’s summer sporting calendar, including Wimbledon and international cricket matches, will also go ahead with greater capacities as part of the latest phase of the UK government’s pilot programme to test the return of large crowds.

MOST VIEWED

  • Purging Sihanoukville’s past with a new masterplan

    Amid illicit activities, haphazard development and abandoned projects, the coastal city of Sihanouk province needs a reset to move forward. A new masterplan might be the answer to shake off its seemingly mucky image to become the Shenzhen of the south Gun toting, shootouts, police

  • Chinese may be first in tourism revival: PM

    Cambodia's tourism industry is gearing up to roll out the red carpet for Chinese travellers after Prime Minister Hun Sen on September 17 indicated that the Kingdom could soon throw open its doors to international holidaymakers vaccinated against Covid-19 – starting with guests from China. Cambodia Chinese

  • Four-pillar approach in reopening of tourism: PM

    Cambodia is drawing up a four-strategy approach to promptly restore domestic and international tourism activity and put the industry on a transition pathway to a sustainable and inclusive model that is resistant to future crises, according to Prime Minister Hun Sen. The prime minister made

  • Airline says ready for green light to reopen international tourism

    Sky Angkor Airline Co Ltd on September 21 said it is ready to transport South Korean and Chinese tourists to the Kingdom once the Cambodian government makes good on plans to reopen its borders to vaccinated travellers. The Siem Reap-based airline made the remark during a

  • Tourism concerns laid bare

    To ensure the success of plans to reopen the tourism market for international visitors, Cambodia must pay utmost attention to two primary determinants – the ongoing paradigm shift in domestic tourism services towards the ‘new normal’, and the factors influencing choices of destinations among foreign holidaymakers.

  • Cambodian bride ‘badly treated, held captive’ by Chinese man seeks help

    A Cambodian woman who travelled to China to marry a Chinese man there was “badly treated” by her husband’s family and then had to be rescued and will be returned to Cambodia to ensure her safety. The rescue operation came about after the 25-year-old