Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - West Brom disappointed at rejection of safe standing proposal



West Brom disappointed at rejection of safe standing proposal

West Bromwich Albion defender Ahmed Hegazy reacts after their English Premier League match with Swansea at The Hawthorns stadium in West Bromwich on Saturday. AFP
West Bromwich Albion defender Ahmed Hegazy reacts after their English Premier League match with Swansea at The Hawthorns stadium in West Bromwich on Saturday. AFP

West Brom disappointed at rejection of safe standing proposal

The British government’s decision to reject Premier League strugglers West Browmwich Albion’s proposal to have a safe standing area is “surprising” and “disappointing” said a club director.

West Brom staff had visited both Scottish champions Celtic and German outfit Hoffenheim who both have safe standing areas – ‘rail seats’, which can be locked in an upright position with safety barriers separating each row.

West Brom’s plan had been to install 3,600 rail seats in one end of the Hawthorns ground.

However, British Sports minister Tracey Crouch says there are no plans to change the all-seater policy at football stadiums which was brought in as a result of the 1989 Hillsborough disaster, which claimed the lives of 96 Liverpool fans.

West Brom’s director of operations Mark Miles, who has led the proposal, described the decision as “surprising” and “disappointing”.

“I think the minister has taken a short-sighted view and is preventing the club from creating a safer environment for supporters,” he said.

“The all-seater policy was developed over 25 years ago and football is a very different place now.”

Miles said the safe standing deployed by Celtic and Hoffenheim had worked well.

“The system we proposed is well tested across Europe and has also worked successfully at Celtic, who are governed by different legislation than in England and Wales,” he said.

“We were prepared to run a pilot which would enable the club to gather data and feedback to further inform us in the issue of crowd safety.

“But I have become convinced that rail seating would enhance safety. The club is extremely disappointed with this decision and we have written back requesting a review.”

The thorny issue of standing areas appeared to get a boost last year when Liverpool fans overwhelmingly supported it.

In a week-long poll run by the club’s biggest independent supporters’ group Spirit of Shankly, 88 per cent of the nearly 18,000 fans who took part voted in favour of rail seating.

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Hun Sen: Stay where you are, or else

    Prime Minister Hun Sen warned that the two-week lockdown of Phnom Penh and adjacent Kandal provincial town Takmao could be extended if people are not cooperative by staying home. “Now let me make this clear: stay in your home, village, and district and remain where

  • Businesses in capital told to get travel permit amid lockdown through One Window Service

    The Phnom Penh Municipal Administration has issued guidelines on how to get travel permission for priority groups during the lockdown of Phnom Penh, directing private institutions to apply through the municipality's One Window Service and limit their staff to a mere two per cent. In

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Ministry names types of business permitted amid lockdown

    The Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training singled out 11 types of business that are permitted to operate during the lockdown of Phnom Penh and Takmao town, which run through April 28. Those include (1) food-processing enterprises and slaughterhouses; (2) providers of public services such as firefighting, utility and