Teachers push ministry over nixed scholarship

Teachers push ministry over nixed scholarship

More than 400 teachers who took part in an eight-month teaching course at the National Institute of Education (NIE) are demanding the government pay them scholarship funds that were initially promised only to be later axed over cost concerns.

In a petition sent yesterday to the Ministry of Education, Youth and Sport (MEYS), 461 primary school teachers who took part in the 2013-14 academic year program decried the Ministry of Economy and Finance’s (MEF) decision to pull the plug on the $20-a-month scholarship, just two months into the eight-month duration.

“It’s not appropriate,” said teacher and complainant Ngin Sophal. “The MEF sent us a letter on October 2014 saying that they decided not to pay the bonus, but we already finished our studies before that in August, so they must pay us.”

Education Minister Hang Chuon Naron confirmed that the teachers were originally to have received an eight-month scholarship, but denied they had been kept in the dark for months regarding the MEF’s January decision.

“The management of NIE informed the teachers about the change verbally and immediately after the new sub-decree was adopted,” Naron said.

During the one-year training course, the primary school educators – who were to emerge equipped to teach secondary school students – received their base salary while they were not working, as well as a “functional allowance” and, until the January sub-decree, the scholarship.

“The teachers have already been told this, but they did not listen to the government’s side,” Naron said. “Right now, the government spends almost 50 per cent of the budget on salaries, so we need to tighten it in some areas because if not, it’s not sustainable and we have to think of everybody.”

Those program participants who were fresh out of post-secondary school and thus not being paid for lost wages, received the full eight-month scholarship, the minister added.

Naron said his hands were tied as the decision had already been overturned.

“I or the Ministry of Education can’t do anything about this, because I can’t override a sub-decree,” he said.

NIE administrative chief Leng Borey also said that the teachers are no longer entitled to the scholarships but added that the MEF is “responsible for the issue”.

The MEYS promised to give the complainants a formal reply within a week.

MOST VIEWED

  • Temi tourism project approved by the CDC

    The $500.4 million Tourism, Ecological, Marine and International (Temi) tourism project has been approved by the Council for the Development of Cambodia (CDC), according to a notice on its Facebook page on Monday. The project is part of Chinese-owned Union City Development Group Co Ltd’s (

  • Rainsy will return at ‘favourable time’

    Opposition figure Sam Rainsy on Saturday suggested he would not return to Cambodia as he had previously promised, saying that like liberators King Father Norodom Sihanouk and Charles de Gaulle, he would only do so at a “favourable time”. “I will go back to Cambodia

  • US Embassy urged to stop ‘disrespecting sovereignty’

    The Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation called on the US Embassy in Phnom Penh on Saturday to respect the Vienna Convention on Diplomatic Relations after it called former opposition leader Kem Sokha “an innocent man” – a move deemed to be “disrespecting Cambodia’s

  • NagaWorld casino sees net profit of more than $390M last year

    Phnom Penh’s NagaWorld casino posted a 53 per cent net profit increase last year at $390.6 million, a sum which is almost equal to the combined net profit of all Cambodian commercial banks in 2017. NagaWorld’s parent company, NagaCorp Ltd, is listed on the Hong Kong