Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - China launches Hong Kong, mainland mega bridge



China launches Hong Kong, mainland mega bridge

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
An aerial view taken on October 22 shows a section of the Hong Kong-Zhuhai-Macau Bridge in Hong Kong. ANTHONY WALLACE/afp

China launches Hong Kong, mainland mega bridge

THE world’s longest sea bridge connecting Hong Kong, Macau and mainland China opened to traffic on Wednesday, with excited travellers making their first journeys along what has been described as a politically-driven and costly white elephant.

Passengers and tour groups gathered at Hong Kong’s cross-border coach terminus and bus operators gave away Chinese pastries and roasted meat to passengers.

“I wanted to try this and see if it’s convenient. I’ll be checking out the view too, after all this is a historic engineering project,” said Angie Cheng, 58, who was taking the second bus of the day out to Macau.

The 55-km crossing links Hong Kong with the southern mainland city of Zhuhai and the gambling enclave of Macau, across the waters of the Pearl River Estuary.

Supporters have hailed it as an engineering triumph but detractors say it is a politically driven and costly white elephant that is part of an attempt by Beijing to integrate semi-autonomous Hong Kong into the mainland.

It is the second major infrastructure project tying Hong Kong to mainland China to open within weeks – a high-speed rail link began operations last month sparking criticism Hong Kong was giving away territory with part of the terminus under mainland jurisdiction.

With a sweeping view of the ocean, mountains and rocky islets, the bridge was partly shrouded in haze on Wednesday when AFP took an early bus to Macau, but passengers still recorded the whole trip on smartphones.

Traffic was light after criticism from some legislators and residents that public access to the bridge is too limited.

“Every big infrastructure has a relatively low volume of passenger and traffic flow in the initial period. It takes time to build up,” secretary for transport and housing Frank Chan told reporters.

Only 10,000 licences have been granted to Hong Kong residents to drive private cars to Zhuhai if they meet highly selective criteria, including holding certain mainland government positions or making major contributions to charities in the southern Chinese province of Guangdong.

Most people will need to go by bus.

Travellers go through immigration and customs points at both ends of the bridge.

Chan did not say how many Hong Kong residents would travel the bridge on Wednesday but estimated 30,000 mainland Chinese visitors would make the crossing into Hong Kong on the inaugural day.

The government had previously said the bridge would attract 29,000 vehicles daily by 2030.

Bus journeys to Zhuhai should take 45 minutes, down from four hours.

An early bus trip into Macau’s Cotai casino hub took around an hour.

“The duration is similar to the ferry. I get a little dizzy on the ferry, so the bus ride was more comfortable,” traveller Cheng told AFP after her journey to Macau.

MOST VIEWED

  • Hong Kong firm done buying Coke Cambodia

    Swire Coca-Cola Ltd, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Hong Kong-listed Swire Pacific Ltd, on November 25 announced that it had completed the acquisition of The Coca-Cola Co’s bottling business in Cambodia, as part of its ambitions to expand into the Southeast Asian market. Swire Coca-Cola affirmed

  • Cambodia's Bokator now officially in World Heritage List

    UNESCO has officially inscribed Cambodia’s “Kun Lbokator”, commonly known as Bokator, on the World Heritage List, according to Minister of Culture and Fine Arts Phoeurng Sackona in her brief report to Prime Minister Hun Sen on the night of November 29. Her report, which was

  • NagaWorld union leader arrested at airport after Australia trip

    Chhim Sithar, head of the Labour Rights Supported Union of Khmer Employees at NagaWorld integrated casino resort, was arrested on November 26 at Phnom Penh International Airport and placed in pre-trial detention after returning from a 12-day trip to Australia. Phnom Penh Municipal Court Investigating Judge

  • Sub-Decree approves $30M for mine clearance

    The Cambodian government established the ‘Mine-Free Cambodia 2025 Foundation’, and released an initial budget of $30 million. Based on the progress of the foundation in 2023, 2024 and 2025, more funds will be added from the national budget and other sources. In a sub-decree signed by Prime Minister Hun Sen

  • Two senior GDP officials defect to CPP

    Two senior officials of the Grassroots Democratic Party (GDP) have asked to join the Cambodian People’s Party (CPP), after apparently failing to forge a political alliance in the run-up to the 2023 general election. Yang Saing Koma, chairman of the GDP board, and Lek Sothear,

  • Cambodia's poverty cut in half from 2009 to 2019: World Bank report

    A report published by the World Bank on November 28 states that Cambodia’s national poverty rate fell by almost half between 2009 and 2019, but the Covid-19 pandemic recently reversed some of the poverty reduction progress. Cambodia’s poverty rate dropped from 33.8 to 17.8 per cent over the 10