Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Great Wall sees smooth travel after visitor limits

Great Wall sees smooth travel after visitor limits

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Tourists climb the Badaling section of the Great Wall in Yanqing district, Beijing. ROSLAN RAHMAN/afp

Great Wall sees smooth travel after visitor limits

The famous Badaling section of the Great Wall in Beijing has bid farewell to crowded conditions after limiting visitors to 65,000 a day since June 1 in an effort to guarantee the safety of both the relics and tourists.

As of the end of July, the Badaling Great Wall had received more than 2.23 million visitors this year and issued four red alerts of overcapacity, according to authorities of the scenic area.

The latest data showed that during the peak season, the number of tourists to the Great Wall usually reached the limit on Monday, when museums in the downtown area are closed, activating a red alert.

The Badaling Great Wall has set up a three-tier warning system for visitors. The yellow warning will be issued when the number of visitors reaches 39,000, orange warning for 52,000 and red warning for 65,000.

Tourists can access the warning information issued by the scenic area via its official website, WeChat and Weibo accounts, LED screens on expressways and local traffic radio broadcasts. They are also advised to make reservations on the official online ticketing system 10 days in advance in peak season and avoid visiting the Badaling section on Monday or holidays.

The Badaling Great Wall is located in Beijing’s Yanqing District, about 60 km northwest of the city centre. It is the earliest open section and the most popular tourist destination of the Great Wall. Many foreign dignitaries have visited it since the 1950s.

The scenic area received more than 9.9 million visitors last year, and the number of tourists has fluctuated greatly between the off-season and peak season.

The site’s popularity has heavily impacted the safety of the relics and tourists, therefore, advance booking and visitor limits are necessary, according to authorities of the Great Wall at Badaling.

MOST VIEWED

  • Ministry issues warning over coronavirus outbreak

    The Ministry of Health on Wednesday asked the public to be on “high alert” as a new virus wreaks havoc across Asia. However, no cases have been reported in the Kingdom thus far. The 2019 Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV) has raised the alarm for its similarity to

  • PM urges precaution amid virus outbreak

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on Sunday called on all Cambodians to bump up precautions to avoid contracting the 2019 Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV) that has already killed more than 50 people in China. The prime minister told the public to remain calm but alert about the possibility of

  • Gov’t slams NGO over 2019 corruption report

    The government on Thursday slammed a report that described the Kingdom as highly corrupt. Government spokesperson Phay Siphan dismissed the latest Transparency International (TI) report as “just an advertisement of NGOs to promote their own interests”. Released on Thursday, the report puts Cambodia near the

  • No power shortages next dry season, says energy minister

    Minister of Mines and Energy Suy Sem has assured the public that Cambodia will not suffer power shortages during the next dry season. Speaking on local TV on Tuesday, Sem projected a rise in power demand during 2020’s dry season – which starts in November and

  • App to connect farmers to millions

    The Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries has soft-launched a mobile app that connects farmers with potential buyers and gives them access to critical market information. The ministry’s Agriculture Marketing Office chief Meach Yady said the ‘CamAgriMarket’ app gives farmers a platform to showcase

  • Gov’t ups security to block virus

    With the new coronavirus claiming its 17th life in China, the Cambodian Ministry of Health on Thursday said it is taking measures to ensure the disease does not enter the Kingdom, including inspecting all flights from Wuhan City, the outbreak’s epicentre. Ministry secretary of