An Eastern European festival that officials ordered cancelled earlier this month will now likely go on as scheduled, after organisers met with Cambodian ministry officials on Wednesday.
In a message yesterday, Minister of Tourism Thong Khon said that after meeting with organisers, who explained the festival is not meant to support drugs and indecency, kaZantip has his ministry’s backing, but still needs official approval from the government.
If Prime Minister Hun Sen’s office approves, the 10-day show will go on at Koh Puos island off Preah Sihanouk province, as long as there are no drugs, sex, gambling or human trafficking, a Ministry of Culture official said yesterday.
KaZantip organiser Daria Lihovitskaya said in an email yesterday that the festival will proceed as scheduled.
“After examination and investigation, both Ministers have agreed to request of kaZantip to make the performance as scheduled dated, [sic] February 18, 2015 February 28.2015 [sic].’’