Victim blames Russian gang

People gather at a villa in Sihanoukville over the weekend before it was raided by police seeking men wanted for attacking the official tour operator for the kaZantip music festival
People gather at a villa in Sihanoukville over the weekend before it was raided by police seeking men wanted for attacking the official tour operator for the kaZantip music festival. PHOTO SUPPLIED

Victim blames Russian gang

The alleged target of a gang attack at Sihanoukville’s Queenco Casino and Hotel last Friday has pointed the finger at a “group of criminals” that he said have been extorting protection money from numerous members of the Russian community in the coastal province.

The accusations come as two Russian nationals, Aleksei Burlakov, 30, and Aleksandr Kiselev, 29, were charged as accomplices to aggravated intentional violence by the provincial court and placed in pre-trial detention yesterday evening in connection with the case.

Police are continuing to investigate and are seeking several other suspects.

Vladimir Palancica, the manager of Lotus Tours, which runs out of Queenco and is the official tour operator for the kaZantip music festival, said that on Friday a group of about 10 men, including Cambodians, had tried to strong-arm him into handing over both protection money and a cut of profits he was making from the festival.

When he refused, they attacked with guns and knives, he said.

“They said that they know where I live, where my wife lives, they know about my children, and then they said that even the president of kaZantip will pay them, so why am I not paying them?” he said.
He added that kaZantip organisers had been asked to pay the group $45,000 but refused.

Palancica claimed the “gang” were linked to a businessman called Oleg Tihanov, who owns the Garage Bar and Oceania Hotel in Sihanoukville.

If he had acquiesced to the demands, the group would still be operating with impunity, he continued, adding he feared for his family while most of the alleged members of the group were still at large.

The manager of Garage Bar, who identified himself only as Oleg but said he was not Oleg Tihanov, said that the incident had no connection with the bar, where Palancica said the attackers were often seen.

“It’s a problem between some guys and it happened outside Garage Bar. It’s none of our business.… Right now nobody gives some facts about the incident, all the facts are coming from one side,” he said.

He added that the Queenco incident was undoubtedly related to kaZantip.

“After this guy appeared in the city, everybody has a problem,” he said of the organiser.

Oleg Tihanov could not be reached on a number provided by the bar’s manager.

Artem Kharchenko, the “prime minister” of kaZantip, which starts Wednesday on Koh Puos island and lasts for 10 days, declined to comment.

Three tourists were injured during Friday’s attack. Mihai Bulgar, who suffered a stab wound, was released from hospital on Sunday, according to provincial police.

Burlakov and Kiselev were arrested Saturday in a raid on a villa, where police seized two cars, a motorbike and six airguns.

Separately yesterday, provincial authorities visited Koh Puos to inform the kaZantip organisers that they would have to suspend all “activities” related to the festival, including construction, until they receive full permission to go ahead, provincial governor Chhit Sokhun said.

Although both the Ministry of Culture and Ministry of Tourism have given a conditional green light, the “government” still has not agreed, he said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Angkor Wat named as the top landmark for the second year

    Travel website TripAdvisor has named Cambodia’s ancient wonder Angkor Wat as the top landmark in the world for the second year running in their Travelers’ Choice Award 2018, an achievement Cambodian tourism operators expect will attract more tourists to the Kingdom. The website uses traveller

  • New US bill ‘is a violation of Cambodian independence’

    After a US congressmen introduced bipartisan legislation that will enact sanctions on Cambodian officials responsible for “undermining democracy” in the Kingdom, government officials and the ruling Cambodian People’s Party on Sunday said they regarded the potential action as the “violation of independence and sovereignty

  • Hun Sen detractors ‘will die’

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on Wednesday said those who curse or insult him would eventually die without a plot of land to bury their bodies after being killed by lightning, suffering the same fate as those who recently died in Thmar Baing district in Koh

  • Ministry’s plan for net sparks fears

    The government has ordered all domestic and international internet traffic in the Kingdom to pass through a Data Management Centre (DMC) that has been newly created by the state-owned Telecom Cambodia, in a move some have claimed is an attempt to censor government critics. Spokesman