Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - ‘Weak’ charges stand in Bandith shooting



‘Weak’ charges stand in Bandith shooting

Keo Near (left), Buot Chenda and Nuth Sakhorn
Keo Near (left), Buot Chenda and Nuth Sakhorn at court yesterday. Heng Chivoan

‘Weak’ charges stand in Bandith shooting

Disgraced former Bavet town governor Chhouk Bandith had his 18-month sentence for the shooting of three garment workers in 2012, which was widely derided as “weak” by rights groups, upheld by the Supreme Court yesterday.

Bandith, 38, was sentenced to 18 months in prison and fined $9,500 in June last year for the Kaoway Sports factory shootings in Bavet, Svay Rieng province, on February 20, 2012, but remains in hiding.

The city’s deputy police chief, Sar Chantha, 41, was given a six-month suspended sentence and fined $250.

Supreme Court Judge Chan Rainsey said yesterday that the decision of the Appeal Court on November 4, 2013, was “correct and made within the laws”, leaving the victims and their families outraged and making disappointed pleas for his capture.

“The Supreme Court has decided to uphold the court’s decision and orders the arrest of Chhouk Bandith and for him to be brought to face the law,” Rainsey said.

Bandith’s first conviction came after Minister of Interior Sar Kheng named him as the sole suspect in the case and a number of witnesses identified him as the shooter.

He was charged but not arrested before the Svay Rieng Provincial Court dropped their case against him in December 2012, sparking outrage from victims and rights groups. The Appeal Court ordered he be retried after reinvestigating the case in March last year.

Bandith was convicted of “unintentional violence” under Article 236 of the Criminal Code, while Chantha was convicted of using an illegal weapon in connection with the shooting of the three striking garment workers: Buot Chenda, Keo Near and Nuth Sakhorn.

Sakhorn yesterday said that the decision was unfair, but urged authorities to hunt for Bandith.

“I think that the court’s decision was not right and is very unfair to the three of us,” she said. “Nevertheless, we are asking the authorities to seek the arrest of Bandith so he can serve his sentence.”

Am Sam Ath, technical supervisor at rights group Licadho, said that the sentence was inappropriate considering the nature of the crime.

“[T]he charges against Bandith were not appropriate and fitting for his crime. The punishment was very weak,” he said. “He should have been charged and convicted on charges of attempted murder.”

Te Chamnan, Bandith’s defence lawyer, was also displeased with the decision, but for different reasons.

“My client … had his gun with him, but he never fired it,” he said. “They must have been shot by someone else.”

Brigadier General Kheng Tito, spokesman for Military Police, dismissed assertions that the hunt for Bandith has not been a priority.

“Police have not hidden him. So far, we have not found him yet. We don’t know if he’s hiding in Cambodia or fled abroad,” he said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Phnom Penh curfew starts today

    A two-week curfew from 8pm to 5am starts today in Phnom Penh, a day after a sub-decree detailing administrative measures to contain Covid-19 was issued by Prime Minister Hun Sen. “Travelling in Phnom Penh is temporally banned between 8pm and 5am,” said Phnom Penh governor

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Cambodia gears up for muted New Year festival

    The recent curfew and restrictions imposed in the capital and other Covid-19 hotspots were intended to break the chain of transmission, Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said as municipal and provincial authorities issued new directives banning certain activities during the upcoming Khmer New Year

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting

  • Covid-19 vaccination now obligatory

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on April 11 issued a sub-decree making Covid-19 vaccination compulsory for individuals unless they have a medical certificate proving they have pre-existing health conditions that prevent them from doing so. «This applies to all members of the armed forces and civil servants