Horror over Mumbai attacks

Horror over Mumbai attacks

Photo by:

AFP

A foreigner who was held hostage by gunmen walks away following his release from the Trident Oberoi hotel in Mumbai on Thursday. 

LONDON - World leaders expressed anger and horror Thursday after Islamist militant attacks in Mumbai left more than 100 people dead, as fears grew over foreign hostages.

While Indian army commandos battled gunmen who launched the attacks on luxury hotels and other targets in India's financial hub, European governments were reportedly making plans to evacuate their nationals.

An Australian, an Italian, a German and a Japanese businessman were among the nine confirmed dead - while Americans, Israelis, Canadians, a Singaporean and a Jewish rabbi were said to be among those still held hostage.

Almost 300 people have been reported wounded in the attacks, which have been claimed by a group calling itself the Deccan Mujahedeen.

"No negotiations or talks have started with the terrorists," Maharashtra state deputy chief minister RR Patil told reporters Thursday afternoon, adding that TV signals to both hotels have been cut to prevent the hostage-takers getting wind of any operations.

With 200 people believed trapped in one hotel alone, anger was mixed with concern that Westerners had been sought as hostages.

British Prime Minister Gordon Brown sent Indian Premier Manmohan Singh a message assuring that "the UK stands solidly with his government as they respond, and to offer all necessary help".

"These outrageous attacks in Mumbai will be met with a vigorous response," he said.

The US State Department called the attacks "horrific" and US President-elect Barack Obama said they showed the need for the United States to work with other nations to "root out and destroy terrorist networks".

Underscoring fears of renewed tensions with nuclear-armed rival Pakistan, Singh said those behind the attacks were based "outside the country" and warned "neighbours" not to provide a haven to anti-India militants.

Pakistan President Asif Ali Zardari, whose country has seen an upsurge of Islamist attacks, "stressed the need for taking strict measures to eradicate terrorism and extremism from the region".

UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon said the violence was "totally unacceptable".

The European Union expressed "horror and indignation" after European parliament members were caught up in the carnage.

MOST VIEWED

  • EU parliament’s 13-point vote to decide on possible sanctions

    The European Parliament is due to vote on Thursday on a 13-point resolution on Cambodia – which includes a call for the treason charges against bailed opposition leader Kem Sokha to be dropped – a threat that could see the EU enforce a range of sanctions against

  • Government hits back at threats to pull EBA, suspend UN seat

    The spokesman for the ruling Cambodian People’s Party (CPP) has said the government is in no way concerned after the European Parliament gave it three months to reverse what it called the “systematic repression of the political opposition”. Ignoring the ultimatum could mean facing

  • Sar Kheng: Sokha requested security

    Interior Minister Sar Kheng on Sunday revealed the story behind the transfer of former opposition party leader Kem Sokha from Trapaing Phlong prison in Tbong Khmum province to his house in the capital. Speaking at the ruling Cambodian People’s Party (CPP) headquarters in Prey

  • PM vows to ‘protect’ Chinese interests

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on Tuesday told Chinese companies investing in Cambodia not to worry about contract cancellation in the Kingdom. Speaking at a roundtable meeting with business executives in China as co-chair of the China-Asean Expo, the prime minister told six Chinese conglomerates with