Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Agriculture Ministry calls out abattoir monopoly

Agriculture Ministry calls out abattoir monopoly

Vendors sell pork in Phnom Penh’s Kandal Market in 2013.
Vendors sell pork in Phnom Penh’s Kandal Market in 2013. Hong Menea

Agriculture Ministry calls out abattoir monopoly

The Ministry of Agriculture published a circular on Thursday accusing the slaughterhouse industry of running a “conspiracy” and “cartel” to fix prices and monopolise the market amid a “lack of enforcement” from local authorities.

The document, signed by Agriculture Minister Veng Sokhon and dated February 15, instructs ministry officials to take a number of measures to ensure fair competition in the slaughterhouse marketplace, including breaking up monopolies and facilitating small-scale farmers in slaughtering their own stock.

Sen Sovann, director-general of the Agriculture Ministry’s Department of Animal Health and Production, said yesterday that the ministry had found the cartel to be an obstacle for free and fair competition, as well as a cause of higher meat prices.

“We have observed that since activating the circular, the price of animals has fallen,” he said. “We encourage having a slaughterhouse on the community level . . . this is a positive result to make meat prices more competitive, higher quality, and save costs for the consumer.”

One of the claims in the circular was that slaughterhouses were blocking new businesses from entering the market, and encouraged local authorities and provincial-level Agriculture Ministry officials to expedite licences for small-scale businesses.

When asked how businesses could have blocked small-scale farmers from getting licences without help from ministry officials, Sovann did not directly address the question.

“We don’t want to blame anyone,” he said. “I acknowledge that the crisis in the past is caused by not having complete competition.”

MOST VIEWED

  • Virus tops 84 with new cases in S’ville

    The Ministry of Health on Sunday night confirmed another 31 cases of coronavirus infections, bringing the Kingdom’s total to 84 and it highest daily tally. There have been no fatalities thus far. The latest cases were found in 29 French tourists and their two Cambodian tour guides

  • Kingdom’s virus toll tops 84, Cambodians in Thailand rush home

    The Ministry of Health on Sunday night confirmed another 31 cases of coronavirus infections, bringing the Kingdom’s total to 84 and its highest daily tally. There have been no fatalities thus far. The latest cases were found in 29 French tourists and their two Cambodian tour guides

  • NBC calls for cashless payments

    The National Bank of Cambodia (NBC) has urged government ministries, financial institutions and the public to conduct cashless payments via electronic systems where possible to combat the spread of Covid-19. “To contribute to the prevention of Covid-19, the National Bank of Cambodia encourages financial institutions

  • CEO held for fraud in Siem Reap

    Over 200 individuals gathered in front of the Siem Reap Provincial Court last week to ask that Dim Suonnath, the CEO of a real estate company being held for fraud, take responsibility for compensating some 2,000 residents who invested with him. The request was denied. Suonnath responded

  • Mysterious century-old structure found at bottom of Angkor pond

    The Apsara National Authority (ANA) has discovered a mysterious 1,000-year-old structure of a wooden building at the bottom of a pond after the Angkor Wat temple’s conservation team completed restoring its northern cave. The deputy director at ANA’s Angkor International Research and Documentation

  • Ministry calls for home schooling

    Minister of Education, Youth and Sport, Hang Chuon Naron appealed to parents of students to provide home education in a proper environment and help them obtain more learning materials. The ministry also allowed schools to take a premature vacation after several people tested positive for