Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Agro report reveals drop in state fisheries revenue

Agro report reveals drop in state fisheries revenue

A man casts a net into the Mekong River from the back of a fishing boat near Phnom Penh’s Koh Pich island last year.
A man casts a net into the Mekong River from the back of a fishing boat near Phnom Penh’s Koh Pich island last year. Heng Chivoan

Agro report reveals drop in state fisheries revenue

A report issued by the Ministry of Agriculture for the first nine months of this year showed a dramatic decline in government revenue from the fisheries sector, while providing incomplete information on revenue from other agricultural sectors.

The report, issued earlier this month and published in local media yesterday, covers all agricultural sectors under the ministry’s watch.

According to the data, total fishery revenue collection fell by 44 percent to $396,000 between January and September, compared to last year’s nine-month haul of over $700,000. The government had only collected 53 percent of its annual target during the period, it added.

The report also showed that the government collected over $3 million in revenue from the forestry sector so far this year, though without providing 2015 data for comparison. An additional public service fee generated $1.1 million, for a total of $4.1 million.

Exports of rice, the Kingdom’s dominant cash crop, declined by 2.1 percent during the first nine months of the year, compared to the same period a year earlier, with total exports registered this year at 362,000 tonnes. The main buyers of Cambodian rice were China, France and Poland.

MOST VIEWED

  • Breaking: US House passes 'Cambodia Democracy Act'

    The US House of Representatives in Washington, DC, on Monday, passed the “HR 526 Cambodia Democracy Act”, also known as the Cambodia Democracy Act of 2019. If signed off by the president, the bill will allow two major sets of action to be taken against high-ranking Cambodian

  • ‘Zero-dollar’ tours under fire

    Minister of Tourism Thong Khon has blamed “zero-dollar” tour operators for the decrease in foreign tourists to Angkor Archaeological Park in the first half of this year and has called for action against them. Angkor Archaeological Park received 1.24 million foreign visitors in the first half

  • Breaking: Rubbish found packed inside 83 containers at S'ville port

    Eighty-three containers packed with rubbish were broken open at Sihanoukville Autonomous Port by joint authorities on Tuesday. The origin of the containers has yet to be ascertained, Ministry of Environment spokesman Neth Pheaktra said. Pheaktra, who is also the ministry’s secretary of state, said

  • Some jobs off limits to foreigners from August

    Beginning from the second week of August, foreigners will be banned from driving taxis and tuk-tuks, as well as being motorcycle delivery drivers, street food vendors, hairdressers and product distributors among other lower-income jobs. Some white-collar jobs such as the head of human resources will