Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Angkor Gold in second exploratory phase

Angkor Gold in second exploratory phase

Angkor Gold in second exploratory phase

Angkor Gold Corp is entering its second phase of exploration in Ratanakiri province after its first round showed promising indications of copper and silver deposits.

The firm, along with partner Japan Oil, Gas and Metals National Corporation (JOGMEC), will inject another $1 million into further exploration and undertake 1.2 kilometres of drilling in and around its Halo prospect in the Oyadao region by the end of March, according to a statement issued yesterday.

John-Paul Dau, vice president of operations at Angkor Gold, said the Oyadao site was a flagship project for the company.

“The first round we had 1,800 metres drilling,” he said. “We got positive results, and this set the stage for phase two.”

Dau said he expected the third phase of exploration to begin in July, and added that the positive results were already drawing attention to the country’s nascent mining sector.

“Once people find out there are deposits here, they’re going to start coming,” he said, “which sets up Cambodia as a big destination for mining companies willing to spend a lot of money.”

Mines and Energy Ministry spokesman Yos Monirath praised the announcement as a good sign for the mining sector’s overall health.

“Yes, this is a positive move forward,” he said.

The Mines and Energy Ministry has in recent years worked with a variety of NGOs and companies to overhaul Cambodia’s mining regulations.

A report released by anti-corruption NGO Transparency International in August last year was generally positive regarding the ministry’s progress on the reforms, while also noting several remaining gaps in the regulatory framework.

MOST VIEWED

  • Body of woman killed in Bangkok returns

    The Cambodian embassy in Thailand is working to repatriate the body of a casino dealer who was shot dead in Bangkok on Monday night. Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation spokesman Kuy Kuong told The Post on Wednesday that officials are preparing paperwork to

  • Chikungunya hits 15 provinces, says gov’t

    Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said on Thursday that the chikungunya outbreak in the Kingdom has spread to 15 provinces. Some 1,700 people are now suspected to have the disease. Vandine urged people to prevent its further spread by eliminating shelters for the Aedes aegypti mosquitoes

  • Gov’t exempts visa A and B holders from Covid fees

    Airline passengers who are diplomats and officials of international organisations holding Type A and B visas for travel to Cambodia are exempted from paying Covid-19 testing fees, said the Ministry of Health in its latest adjustment of rules on Wednesday. Health Minister Mam Bun Heng

  • Bill covering dress code draws ire

    Ministry of Interior secretary of state Ouk Kim Lek responded on Tuesday to criticism concerning a draft law that would ban women from wearing overly revealing clothing, saying that input from all parties will be considered as the law moves through the promulgation process. Several

  • Passing the test: Is Cambodia’s education system failing its people?

    The Kingdom’s education system needs to grow its people but some flaws might stifle​ this growth Coming from the Khmer Rouge occupation, with the loss of many scholars and academicians and a collapsed government, the education system had to be reconstructed from scratch – one

  • What’s the deal with Cambodia and China’s FTA?

    Cambodia’s Free Trade Agreement (FTA) with China kicks off a series of FTAs in future but for now, critics wonder what else the parties could bring to the table apart from what it already has to date By the end of this year, Cambodia