Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Bangladesh PM and Hun Sen sign 10 deals

Bangladesh PM and Hun Sen sign 10 deals

Cambodian Prime Minister Hun Sen and Bangladeshi Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina at the Peace Palace on December 4.
Cambodian Prime Minister Hun Sen and Bangladeshi Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina at the Peace Palace on December 4. Photo supplied

Bangladesh PM and Hun Sen sign 10 deals

Cambodia and Bangladesh made a fresh push yesterday to revive bilateral trade initiatives, with the two leaders of the countries signing nine memoranda of understanding (MoUs) and one agreement in support of trade, economy, investment and technical cooperation initiatives.

The 10 deals are expected to enhance bilateral ties and strengthen economic cooperation between the two developing countries.

The signing of the deals follows Bangladeshi Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina’s first official state visit to Cambodia, where she met with Prime Minister Hun Sen.

“Our discussions had very fruitful results which I consider as an important part of the work we need to do together as developing countries,” Hun Sen said during a press conference following the signing ceremony.

The nine MoUs are focused on strengthening labour and vocational training initiatives, increasing tourism and investment, supporting the fisheries industry and establishing a joint trade council.

An agreement of cooperation was signed between Shafiul Islam, president of the Federation of Bangladesh Chambers of Commerce and Industries, and Kith Meng, president of the Cambodian Chamber of Commerce.

“I believe that the signing of MoUs on the joint trade council and the agreement between our two apex chambers will contribute to boosting bilateral trade and investment,” said Hasina during the press conference.

Bangladesh’s ambassador to Thailand and Cambodia told The Post earlier this year that trade between the two nations remained relatively low, amounting to just $6.7 million annually.

Additionally, in August the two countries signed an MoU for the shipment of 1 million tonnes of Cambodian rice over the next five years that has yet to materialise.

MOST VIEWED

  • First deportees of the year touch down in Cambodia

    Twenty-five Cambodian-Americans landed in Phnom Penh on Wednesday, marking the first such deportations of the year. “On Wednesday, US law enforcement authorities deported 25 Cambodian nationals that immigration judges determined had no legal basis to remain in the US,” said Arend Zwartjes, spokesperson for the US

  • Qatar Airways to connect Doha and Siem Reap town

    Qatar Airways Company QCSC has announced a new route connecting Qatar’s capital Doha with Siem Reap, a move hailed by local officials as a significant step to boost tourist numbers. A Qatar Airways representative, speaking at the Kuwait Aviation Show, announced on Thursday that

  • Kingdom drafting new law to strengthen immigration

    The Ministry of Interior on Tuesday said it had formed a working group to draft amendments to the Law on Immigration. Its secretary of state Sok Phal told The Post that the amendments will strengthen the management of immigrants in line with the current situation.

  • Sokha defence denies Tech’s claims

    ON DAY two of Kem Sokha’s treason trial, lawyers for the government said the defence had raised questions in an attempt to allow their client to make a public statement and a conclusion to the case, something his legal team denied. Ky Tech, a

  • Cambodian general visits Myanmar to enhance national defence cooperation

    Royal Cambodian Armed Forces (RCAF) commander-in-chief Vong Pisen is now in Myanmar leading a delegation that aims to improve ties, particularly in national defence, with the fellow Asean member. The timing of Pisen’s four-day visit to the Southeast Asian neighbour is highly symbolic, with

  • Sokha’s treason trial begins

    The treason trial of Supreme Court-dissolved Cambodia National Rescue Party (CNRP) president Kem Sokha began at the Phnom Penh Municipal Court on Wednesday with the presentation of a two-minute video clip. The footage, which was the basis of the charge against him, was dismissed by