Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Batch of Bokor park ecotourism projects gauged by ministry

Batch of Bokor park ecotourism projects gauged by ministry

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
A private firm has submitted proposals to invest in 16 small ecotourism projects in Bokor National Park which are currently being assessed by the Ministry of Environment. Heng Chivoan

Batch of Bokor park ecotourism projects gauged by ministry

A private firm has submitted proposals to invest in 16 small ecotourism projects in Bokor National Park which are currently being assessed by the Ministry of Environment.

Ministry spokesman Neth Pheaktra told The Post that a joint working group had inspected the investment proposal for the ecotourism projects on March 7 and had dispatched technical officers to analyse on-site data, after which it would request a review and seek approval for the development from Minister of Environment Say Samal.

However, he stressed that under the plans, the project owner will have the right to use only 30 per cent of land allocated, with the other 70 per cent to be set aside for conservation – a decision made to encourage private sector participation in the protection and conservation of natural resources, as well as to promote ecotourism.

Pheaktra said that ecotourism is an important driver of local economic growth because it creates jobs and provides income for the people.

Cambodians are beginning to understand the value of this form of tourism and have increasingly been visiting protected areas, he noted, adding that tourists have been promoting protected areas to others after sightseeing and sampling the local cuisine.

He said that participation of the private sector in the protection and conservation of natural resources may result in more enticing attractions in Kampot province, which most of the national park lies in.

Kampot provincial Department of Tourism director Soy Sinol could not be reached for comment.

Pacific Asia Travel Association (PATA) Cambodia chapter chairman Thourn Sinan told The Post that if the applicant is genuine in their intention to develop the sites into tourist destinations, it would be “really beneficial” for the tourism sector of Cambodia.

But he expressed doubts that the projects would materialise, citing previous examples of such investment projects. “What’s happened in the past with private sector takeover of such small tracts of land is that they have received projects to develop, which they mobilise investors to inject money into.

“If they cannot find investors, they do not develop the projects, and that is a problem,” he said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Hong Kong firm done buying Coke Cambodia

    Swire Coca-Cola Ltd, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Hong Kong-listed Swire Pacific Ltd, on November 25 announced that it had completed the acquisition of The Coca-Cola Co’s bottling business in Cambodia, as part of its ambitions to expand into the Southeast Asian market. Swire Coca-Cola affirmed

  • Cambodia's Bokator now officially in World Heritage List

    UNESCO has officially inscribed Cambodia’s “Kun Lbokator”, commonly known as Bokator, on the World Heritage List, according to Minister of Culture and Fine Arts Phoeurng Sackona in her brief report to Prime Minister Hun Sen on the night of November 29. Her report, which was

  • NagaWorld union leader arrested at airport after Australia trip

    Chhim Sithar, head of the Labour Rights Supported Union of Khmer Employees at NagaWorld integrated casino resort, was arrested on November 26 at Phnom Penh International Airport and placed in pre-trial detention after returning from a 12-day trip to Australia. Phnom Penh Municipal Court Investigating Judge

  • Sub-Decree approves $30M for mine clearance

    The Cambodian government established the ‘Mine-Free Cambodia 2025 Foundation’, and released an initial budget of $30 million. Based on the progress of the foundation in 2023, 2024 and 2025, more funds will be added from the national budget and other sources. In a sub-decree signed by Prime Minister Hun Sen

  • Angkor Beer, 30 Years of Prestige and Still Counting

    Let’s celebrate 30 years of prestige with Angkor Beer. In this 2022, Angkor Beer is 30 years old and has been staying with Cambodian hearts in all circumstances. Head of core beer portfolio, EmYuthousaid, “We have been with Cambodians for three decades now. We, ANGKOR Beer, pride

  • Two senior GDP officials defect to CPP

    Two senior officials of the Grassroots Democratic Party (GDP) have asked to join the Cambodian People’s Party (CPP), after apparently failing to forge a political alliance in the run-up to the 2023 general election. Yang Saing Koma, chairman of the GDP board, and Lek Sothear,