Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Battambang cement factory set to start production

Battambang cement factory set to start production

Workers pour cement in Phnom Penh. Photo supplied
Workers pour cement in Phnom Penh. Photo supplied

Battambang cement factory set to start production

A new cement factory in Battambang province will come online on Friday with an annual production capacity of 1.7 million tonnes of cement, according to Mines and Energy Minister Suy Sem.

“We will have finished four cement factories that can produce nearly 7 million tones [per year] of cement,” Sem said last week at the annual meeting for the Ministry of Mines and Energy (MME).

While the minister did not mention specific the name of cement factory that is set to open this week, the only factory with that capacity is the Battambang Conch Cement Co Ltd, a joint venture between China-based Conch International Holdings (HK) Ltd and local cement firm Battambang KT Cement Co Ltd.

Construction on the factory began in October 2016 on 100 hectares of land in Battambang’s Rattanak Mondul district, with an investment of about $230 million.

Sem said that with the addition of the new factory, Cambodia would be able to supply the domestic demand for cement.

Yos Monirath, spokesman for MME, agreed that the country would now be able to supply its own cement needs, though he acknowledged that clear data on demand for cement was difficult to obtain.

The spokesman also noted that with steady growth in the construction sector, more investment in cement production might be necessary in the future.

“The demand for cement and other construction materials has been increasing significantly,” he said. “For now, if the existing factories are fully operational, [they] can supply the current demand…but, if the speed of demand keeps increasing more and more, we think we will need more investment in cement factories.”

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Hun Sen: Stay where you are, or else

    Prime Minister Hun Sen warned that the two-week lockdown of Phnom Penh and adjacent Kandal provincial town Takmao could be extended if people are not cooperative by staying home. “Now let me make this clear: stay in your home, village, and district and remain where

  • Businesses in capital told to get travel permit amid lockdown through One Window Service

    The Phnom Penh Municipal Administration has issued guidelines on how to get travel permission for priority groups during the lockdown of Phnom Penh, directing private institutions to apply through the municipality's One Window Service and limit their staff to a mere two per cent. In

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Ministry names types of business permitted amid lockdown

    The Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training singled out 11 types of business that are permitted to operate during the lockdown of Phnom Penh and Takmao town, which run through April 28. Those include (1) food-processing enterprises and slaughterhouses; (2) providers of public services such as firefighting, utility and