Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Beeline progress ‘back in track’

Beeline progress ‘back in track’

Beeline progress ‘back in track’

THE Chief Executive Officer of VimpelCom, the majority-owner of Beeline, was “encouraged” by its fourth quarter results in Cambodia despite extending its Southeast Asian losses for a second successive quarter. The company made a loss of US$9.8 million in its mobile operations in Cambodia and Vietnam, before depreciation and amortization, in the fourth quarter of last year.

That compares to a loss of $8.8 million in the third quarter and $8.1 million loss in the second quarter of 2010.

Revenues, however, grew around 38 percent to $6.9 million in quarter four, from $5 million in quarter three.

Active subscribers in the region were said to have hit 651,000 while average revenue per user hit $3.8 – the highest in any quarter of last year.

VimpelCom CEO Alexander Izosimov said that in Cambodia “we managed to reverse the negative trends” and that “at year end, the development of our business in Cambodia was back in track,” according to a transcript of a conference call posted online by Seeking Alpha.

He also pointed to its limited relations in Vietnam, stating that it intended to “re-launch” in the country.

Meanwhile, Izosimov highlighted the recent acquisition of Millicom Laos which he said has helped in “extending our footprint in South East Asia and completing what we intended to do i.e. creating clusters in the Indo-China peninsula”.

Gael Campan, General Director of Beeline in Cambodia, did not reply to a request for comment yesterday.

Globally, VimpelCom – which has agreed a purchase of Wind Telecom SpA - said profit rose 63 percent in the fourth quarter as it added subscribers and consolidated units. Net income advanced to $461 million from $283 million a year earlier, VimpelCom said in a statement. Sales gained 22 percent to $2.82 billion. ADDITIONAL REPORTING BLOOMBERG

MOST VIEWED

  • Ministry requests school opening

    The Ministry of Education, Youth and Sport on Thursday said it would request a decision from Prime Minister Hun Sen to allow a small number of schools to reopen next month. Ministry spokesman Ros Soveacha said if the request is granted, higher-standard schools will reopen

  • Kingdom eyes India FTA, China deal set for August

    Cambodia is studying the possibility of establishing a bilateral free trade agreement (FTA) with India to open a new market with the second-largest regional economy. This comes as an FTA with China is scheduled to be signed next month while similar negotiations with South Korea

  • Judge lands in court after crashing into alleged thief

    Sen Sok district police on Thursday sent a Koh Kong Provincial Court judge to the Phnom Penh Municipal Court on manslaughter charges after he crashed his car into a woman riding a motorbike on Wednesday, killing her. District police chief Hour Meng Vang told The

  • Gov’t to boost Siem Reap tourism

    The Ministry of Tourism released the results of an inter-ministerial committee meeting concerning Siem Reap province’s Tourism Development Master Plan for 2020-2035 on Wednesday, revealing the government’s plan to improve the overall tourist landscape there. The meeting was attended by Minister of Tourism

  • Residents ordered to remove structures on Phnom Penh’s canal

    Phnom Penh municipal governor Khuong Sreng has ordered authorities to act against the perpetrators who built houses along the Luo 5 canal in Meanchey district. The municipal administration plans to create a committee to solve the matter. The order was given on Wednesday while Sreng led

  • ‘On the offensive’: Cambodia to load up on loans to stimulate economy

    As the dust settles on the economy, Cambodia comes to grips with what needs to be done to turn the economy around, starting with a big shopping list for credit ‘We are going on the offensive,” Vongsey Vissoth, Ministry of Economy and Finance permanent secretary

  • Government set to make up for cancelled April holiday

    The government is set to make up for a five-day Khmer New Year holiday late this month or early next month. The holiday was earlier cancelled due to the onset of Covid-19. The announcement is expected on Friday as the government is studying a range

  • Families told to register for cash handouts

    The government has called on poor families to apply to commune authorities for evaluation to receive financial support during the Covid-19 crisis. A $300 million budget has been planned for implementation within a year. Ministry of Economy and Finance secretary of state Vongsey Visoth said this

  • Crumbling prices, rent ruffle condo segment

    The prolonged decline in international arrivals to Cambodia intensified by renewed Covid-19 fears has driven down condominium sales prices and rental rates in Phnom Penh, a research report said. CBRE Cambodia, the local affiliate of US commercial real estate services and investment firm CBRE Group

  • Over $3M in traffic fines collected in two months

    Traffic police officers collected over $3 million in fines throughout the Kingdom during the past two months when officers strictly enforced the law in accordance with a May sub-decree, officials said. As incentives, law enforcement officers received between 200,000 and two million riel ($50 to $500) each. The figures