Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Broadband provider stripped of licences

Broadband provider stripped of licences

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
The Ministry of Posts and Telecommunications. Post Staff

Broadband provider stripped of licences

The Ministry of Posts and Telecommunications has stripped broadband communications provider Chuan Wei (Cambodia) Co Ltd of three licences for breaching terms.

The ministry listed the licences as – Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP), 4G mobile service, and submarine fibre-optic cable.

On November 24, it said it would allow the company, which operates under the brand “Wizion”, to keep its Internet Service Provider (ISP) licence if it settles its outstanding debts to the government.

It issued a broad warning that it would “take action and revoke the licences of any telecoms operators who fail to abide by their terms or comply with the laws.

“[This can be due to prolonged] inactivity, incorrect self-reported income data, insufficient financial or technical documentation, unsettled debts, or unpaid levies owed to the government,” the ministry said.

Telecommunications Regulator of Cambodia spokesman Im Vutha told The Post last month: “Generally, all operators have an obligation to self-declare their revenues and taxes to the state every year.

“Most of the operators that fail to comply with our regulations fall into the category of ISPs and VoIP service providers.” Vutha said.

On October 21, the ministry announced it had revoked the licences of 16 telecoms operators and suspended that of another, citing failure to comply with obligations.

Vutha noted that the categories of the licences were those for mobile operators, ISPs and broadband wireless access (BWA) providers.

Other types included those for VoIP service providers, providers of network systems, and satellite positioning and navigation services, he said.

MOST VIEWED

  • ‘Kingdom one of safest to visit in Covid-19 era’

    The Ministry of Tourism on January 12 proclaimed Cambodia as one of the safest countries to visit in light of the Kingdom having been ranked number one in the world by the Senegalese Economic Prospective Bureau for its success in handling the Covid-19 pandemic. In rankings

  • Ministry mulls ASEAN+3 travel bubble

    The Ministry of Tourism plans to launch a travel bubble allowing transit between Cambodia and 12 other regional countries in a bid to resuscitate the tourism sector amid crushing impact of the ongoing spread of Covid-19, Ministry of Tourism spokesman Top Sopheak told The Post on

  • Kingdom accepts Chinese vaccine, PM first to get jab

    Prime Minister Hun Sen said China would offer Cambodia an immediate donation of one million doses of the Covid-19 vaccine produced by the Sinopharm company. In an audio message addressing the public on the night of January 15, he said Cambodia has accepted the offer and

  • Reeling in Cambodia’s real estate sector

    A new norm sets the scene but risks continue to play out in the background A cold wind sweeps through the streets of Boeung Trabek on an early January morning as buyers and traders engage in commerce under bright blue skies. From a distance, the

  • PM asks India for vaccine help

    Prime Minister Hun Sen is seeking assistance from India for the provision of Covid-19 vaccines as the country has produced its own vaccine which is scheduled to be rolled out to more than 300 million Indians this year. The request was made during his meeting with

  • One million Chinese Covid-19 jabs to start rolling in from February

    The government has confirmed that Covid-19 vaccines from China are set to begin arriving in Cambodia by February. This came as the Ministry of Health recorded two imported cases of Covid-19 on January 18. While calling on people to remain vigilant against the pandemic, ministry spokeswoman