Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Cambodia powers up

Cambodia powers up

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
An energy grid in Phnom Penh's Toul Sangke substation. The Ministry of Mines and Energy said on Tuesday that the first phase of the $380 million HFO power plant in Kandal province’s Lvea Em district will begin operations in April and produce 100MW of electricity. Hong Menea

Cambodia powers up

The first phase of the $380 million HFO power plant in Kandal province’s Lvea Em district will begin operations in April and produce 100MW of electricity, said the Ministry of Mines and Energy.

Ministry spokesman Victor Jona told The Post on Tuesday that an additional 300MW will be produced during the second quarter or the early third quarter of this year.

With this additional energy, Cambodia will not suffer power shortages like last year, he said.

“The power plant will start operating as planned in April this year, while the full process could start in June or July.

“I think from now on, Cambodia will not suffer electricity shortages, especially in the dry season. Electricity is at the core of development in all areas.

“The situation of electricity supply from now onwards is good because we have 85 per cent of water supply for hydropower while in the same period last year we only had 30 per cent,” he said.

Jona said the demand for electricity is growing at an average of 16-18 per cent annually, except from 2018 to last year, which saw a 25 per cent growth.

Currently, he said, Cambodia can generate about 70-80 per cent of total electricity consumption.

The director-general of Electricité du Cambodge (EdC), Keo Ratanak, said previously that the Kingdom is working to generate more than 1,000MW of new energy by the end of this year.

This includes building a coal power plant, utilising solar power, and purchasing low-cost power from Laos to better the electricity sector in terms of supply and price.

Long Sreng Interantional Co Ltd general manager Heng Sreng told The Post on Tuesday that he welcomed the ministry’s assurance that there would not be an electricity shortage like last year.

However, he said his company is currently facing frequent power outages. On average, companies pay between $200,000 and $250,000 per month on electricity bills, he said.

“If it is possible to secure more power, it will boost production lines and exports to Chinese markets once again so as to increase orders since the outbreak of Covid-19,” he said.

In September last year, the government also reached an agreement to acquire 2,400MW of electricity – 600MW from Laos-based power plant from TSBP-sekong Power and Mineral Company Ltd and 1,800MW from the Xekong Thermal Power Plant Company Ltd.

The coal-fired power plant will be divided into four phases, with the first to be operational by the end of 2024, with a capacity to produce 300MW.

The second phase will be online by 2025 and produce 600MW, while the third phase will be operational in 2026 and produce 600MW. This will be followed by the fourth phase in 2027, producing 900MW.

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting

  • Cambodia gears up for muted New Year festival

    The recent curfew and restrictions imposed in the capital and other Covid-19 hotspots were intended to break the chain of transmission, Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said as municipal and provincial authorities issued new directives banning certain activities during the upcoming Khmer New Year

  • Covid-19 vaccination now obligatory

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on April 11 issued a sub-decree making Covid-19 vaccination compulsory for individuals unless they have a medical certificate proving they have pre-existing health conditions that prevent them from doing so. «This applies to all members of the armed forces and civil servants