Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Cambodia ready for rice bid

Cambodia ready for rice bid

Combine harvesters work on a rice paddy in Takeo province last week
Combine harvesters work on a rice paddy in Takeo province last week. Hong Menea

Cambodia ready for rice bid

Cambodia will join the bidding for the Philippine government’s latest rice import offer, a senior rice industry official says.

The Philippine government’s National Food Authority (NFA) last week authorised the import of 500,000 tonnes of rice to the country.

The bidding process, which is looking for the best-priced and best-quality rice, is open to all countries. A decision will be made on August 27.

The offer was reportedly made as an emergency effort to replenish the country’s rice crops. Recent severe weather has damaged the crops and driven up prices in the local market, Philippine reports said.

Thon Virak, chairman and director-general of Green Trade, a Cambodian state-owned milled-rice exporter, said the Kingdom is ready to make a bid this time, after missing out on a similar tender by the Philippine government last year due to a shortage of able exporters.

“This is the second time the Philippines has invited Cambodia to the bidding,” Virak said.

“We missed previous bidding because we did not have a united exporter group yet to transport the huge load. But now we have one, we are ready,” he said, referring to the recently founded Cambodia Rice Federation (CRF), which united the country’s rice exporter community in one organisation.

“I do not work alone. We are working together in the group now.”

Virak, however, admitted that Cambodia’s high transportation and shipping costs could hamper the country’s chances of landing the deal.

“It will be hard for us to give lower quotes than Vietnam. Nevertheless, this is an important step for us. I have discussed with CRF about reducing transport costs to see what we can do about it.”

CRF president Sok Puthyvuth could not be reached for comment.

Kim Savuth, president of Khmer Food, the country’s biggest rice exporter, said yesterday that the bid is an exciting opportunity for exporters in Cambodia to capture a new market.

“We have enough rice to join the bidding. On whether any of the Cambodian exporters will win the bid, I am not sure,” Savuth said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Restrictions re-imposed in capital as Covid cases surge

    Amid the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has shown no sign of subsiding with 750 infections and 10 deaths reported on June 2 alone, the Phnom Penh Municipal Administration has decided to re-impose the suspension of all occupations and business activities deemed as posing high risk of

  • Phnom Penh-Sihanoukville expressway 51% complete

    The construction of the nearly $2 billion Phnom Penh-Sihanoukville Expressway is 51.35 per cent complete and is expected to be finished in 2023, according to Ministry of Public Works and Transport secretary of state Vasim Sorya. Invested in by Cambodian PPSHV Expressway Co Ltd, the first expressway in

  • First 7-Eleven store to open mid-June, ambassador says

    Thai retail conglomerate CP All Pcl will open Cambodia’s first 7-Eleven convenience store in mid-June, Cambodian ambassador to Thailand Ouk Sorphorn told The Post on June 1. The Bangkok-listed 7-Eleven franchise operator, the retail arm of Charoen Pokphand Group Co Ltd, granted CP All (Cambodia)

  • With herd immunity likely in 2022, is Cambodia ready to reopen for tourism?

    The government aims to inoculate 80 per cent of the target population by June next year, giving it a head start among regional peers to reboot the sector but first, it has to do a few things to up its game A sign on a glass

  • US embassy guard gets Covid despite two doses of Pfizer jab

    The Covid-19 tracking commission on June 4 said a security guard at the US embassy in Phnom Penh had contracted the novel coronavirus, despite having received a second dose of the Pfizer-BioNTech shot two weeks ago. Embassy spokesperson Chad Roedemeier confirmed the SARS-CoV-2 infection to The

  • US wants 'full access' to Ream Naval Base

    On June 11, the US embassy's Defense Attaché Colonel Marcus M Ferrara visited Ream Nava Base in coordination with Cambodian officials following the recent approval of Prime minister Hun Sen to allay the concerns on Chinese military presence at the base as raised by US Deputy