Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Capital gains tax postponed until January 1, 2022

Capital gains tax postponed until January 1, 2022

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
The Ministry of Economy and Finance’s General Department of Taxation (GDT). Heng Chivoan

Capital gains tax postponed until January 1, 2022

The government has decided to postpone the implementation of the capital gains tax from January 1, 2021 to January 1, 2022, the Ministry of Economy and Finance’s General Department of Taxation (GDT) said on Thursday.

This, it said, will provide taxpayers more time to gain a better grasp of how capital gains tax works and what it implies for investments.

The decision was made based on a local investment advisory firm’s letter submitted via the GDT to the ministry and endorsed by Prime Minister Hun Sen on October 9.

In the letter, the Housing Development Association of Cambodia (HDAC) asked the government to postpone collection of the new tax until the current Covid-19 situation eases, citing the real estate sector’s continued struggle under the weight of the ongoing pandemic.

Capital gains tax will be levied on taxpayers’ gains from the sale, transfer or establishment of property rights, or the registration of ownership or possession rights, according to Prakas No 346, which was signed by minister Aun Pornmoniroth on April 1.

Individuals will be required to pay a 20 per cent capital gains tax rate on calculated profits from the sale of certain assets including land, buildings, stocks, bonds, licences, patents and currencies.

HDAC secretary-general Huy Vanna told The Post late last month that the tax will only add to the burden on the real estate industry.

“We have requested the Ministry of Economy [and Finance] to postpone the collection of capital gains tax payments until a more suitable time or when the Covid-19 and economic situations improve. Today’s real estate market is in the doldrums,” he said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Kingdom's Covid cluster cases jump to 194

    The Ministry of Health on February 25 confirmed 65 new cases of Covid-19, with 58 linked to the February 20 community transmission. The latest cluster cases include nine Vietnamese nationals, five Cambodians, one each from Korea, Singapore and Japan, with the rest being Chinese. This brings the total number

  • Locations shut, dozens more Covid-19 positive

    The Ministry of Health has closed 23 locations in connection with the February 20 community transmission of Covid-19 and summoned for testing anyone who had direct contact with affected people and places. The number of discovered related infections has risen to 76, including 39 women. In a press release,

  • Cambodia's Covid cluster cases rise to 137

    The Ministry of Health on February 24 recorded 40 more cases of Covid-19, with 38 linked to the February 20 community transmission. Of the 40, two are imported cases involving Chinese passengers. The 38 include two Vietnamese nationals and one Cambodian, with the rest being Chinese. This brings the total cases

  • Covid cluster raises alarm, health bodies urge vigilance

    The Ministry of Health and the World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia have expressed great concern over the February 20 cluster transmission of Covid-19 in the community. Both entities appealed for vigilance and cooperation in curbing further spread of the virus. Ministry spokeswoman Or Vandine said

  • PM confirms third Covid-19 community transmission

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on February 20 announced the Kingdom's third outbreak of Covid-19 community transmission after 32 people tested positive in just over 10 hours. Addressing the public from his residence after an emergency meeting, Hun Sen said: "I dub it February 20 Community Event, in which 32 cases

  • Cambodia's cluster cases jump to 259

    The Ministry of Health on February 27 recorded 26 more cases of Covid-19 linked to the February 20 community transmission, bringing the total to 259 in one week. The 26 include three Vietnamese nationals and one Cambodian, with the rest being Chinese. The ministry noted that five of the Chinese