Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Casino operator: Enough cash for one year

Casino operator: Enough cash for one year

Casino operator: Enough cash for one year

Sydney-based casino operator Donaco International Ltd expects a monthly “cash burn run rate” of between $800,000 and $900,000 during the temporary closure of two casinos in Cambodia and Vietnam, it said in a filing to the Australian Securities Exchange on Tuesday.

The expenses will cover costs incurred “maintaining the casino assets” and other “associated corporate costs”, it said. Both casinos were closed as preventative measures amid the Covid-19 emergency.

The government ordered the temporary closure of casinos nationwide effective April 1, while Vietnam issued a similar order effective from April 1-15.

Star Vegas Resort and Club is located in Poipet town’s Poipet commune in Banteay Meanchey province on the border with Thailand while the Aristo International Hotel is located in Lao Cai district’s Kim Tan commune in Vietnam’s Lao Cai province on the border with China.

“The temporary action follows the Cambodian government’s announcement mandating the closure of all casinos from April 1, 2020, alongside the Vietnamese government’s measures to temporarily close all casinos for a period of 15 days from April 1, 2020,” said Donaco International.

It said it will implement a number of measures to cut costs during closure “to ensure the company’s sustainability into the future.

“As a result, Donaco has had to take difficult, but unavoidable, measures in relation to its staff, including reductions in headcount, placing employees on leave, standing down casual staff and deferring non-essential expenditure,” it said.

It said it will work to reduce operating and capital expenditure. As of March 31, it had a cash balance of $11.6 million.

The filing quoted chairman Mel Ashton as saying: “The situation we are facing with the Covid-19 pandemic is unprecedented and we’ve unfortunately had to take some drastic measures with our staff, including redundancies and pay cuts.”

“This is to ultimately ensure the business remains afloat and to be in a healthy financial position once we eventually rebuild the team and restart operations.

“We will continue to monitor developments and will provide further updates in due course once measures underway are further progressed,” he was quoted as saying.

Donaco International said it is in ongoing discussions with principal lender Mega International Commercial Bank Co Ltd regarding the settlement of litigation with the Thai vendors of the Star Vegas business.

It also aims to amend the June 30, covenants in respect to its term-loan facility, it said.

“Donaco continues to consider liquidity measures and sources of a capital injection to guarantee the business remains in a sustainable and dynamic position during this period of global uncertainty.

“The duration of the Covid-19 crisis and the period of closure of the casinos will obviously affect the requirement for a capital injection but in any case the board is confident of both the ability to maintain the business during an extended period of closures and source capital as required to strengthen the balance sheet,” it said.

Ministry of Economy and Finance data shows that it granted licences to some 163 casinos by the end of April last year. Of these, some 91 are based in Preah Sihanouk province and the remaining are mainly located along the borders with Vietnam and Thailand.

MOST VIEWED

  • No payment required for travellers taking rapid Covid tests on arrival

    Ministry of Health officials said there would be no payment required for the rapid Covid-19 tests given to travellers who arrive in Cambodia from November 15 onwards after the quarantine requirement is lifted for fully vaccinated people. Health ministry spokeswoman Or Vandine told The Post on

  • General’s gun smuggling ring busted

    The Military Police sent six military officers to court on November 22 to face prosecution for possession of 105 illegal rifles and arms smuggling, while investigators say they are still hunting down additional accomplices. Sao Sokha, deputy commander of the Royal Cambodian Armed Forces and commander of

  • More Cambodians studying in US

    The number of Cambodian students studying at US colleges and universities in 2020-21 increased by 14.3 per cent over the previous year despite the Covid-19 pandemic, according to a recent US government report. The 2021 Open Doors report on International Educational Exchange showed that 848 Cambodian students studied

  • Cambodia, Thailand to discuss border reopening

    Cambodian authorities from provinces along the Cambodia-Thailand border will meet with Thai counterparts to discuss reopening border checkpoints to facilitate travel, transfer of products and cross-border trade between the two countries. Banteay Meanchey provincial deputy governor Ly Sary said on November 22 that the provincial administration

  • Police arrest Canadian with 167kg of drugs

    The Phnom Penh Municipal Court on November 15 placed a Canadian national in pre-trial detention in connection with smuggling and possessing 167kg of illegal drugs. Deputy National Police chief in charge of anti-drug enforcement Mak Chito told The Post on November 15 that the man was arrested

  • Prince Norodom Ranariddh passes away at 77

    Prince Norodom Ranariddh, the second son of the late King Father Norodom Sihanouk and former First Prime Minister of Cambodia, has passed away in France at the age of 77. “Samdech Krom Preah Norodom Ranariddh has passed away this morning in France just after 9am Paris-time,”