Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - China condemns latest US rules against Huawei

China condemns latest US rules against Huawei

China condemns latest US rules against Huawei

China's Ministry of Commerce urged the US government on Sunday to immediately stop abusing export control measures and pledged to take all necessary measures to protect the legitimate and lawful interests of Chinese businesses.

The comments came after the US Department of Commerce issued new rules, due to take effect in September, that will block Chinese tech giant Huawei Technologies Co Ltd and its suppliers from using US technologies to design and manufacture semiconductors.

“It is a violation of market principles and fair competition. The US government, in the name of national security, used national power and abused export control measures to crack down on specific companies in other countries,” the Ministry of Commerce said in a statement on its website.

The ministry said that the US government is ignoring the basic rules of international economics and trade and that it also poses a serious threat to the safety of global industrial and supply chain.

Experts said some US officials are using political forces to disrupt normal global supply cooperation, which will severely harm the global supply and value chain, especially as the world economy was hit hard by the coronavirus.

Mei Xinyu, a researcher at the Chinese Academy of International Trade and Economic Cooperation, said the new move marked a significant escalation of the US government’s battle with China for global technology dominance, especially in the information and communication technology sector where Huawei has gained a competitive advantage.

Boston Consulting Group (BCG) said in a report that if the US government increases restrictions on semiconductor trade with China, this could endanger its own position as a leader in the sector.

BCG warned that if shipments of US chips and chipmaking equipment to China were stopped, and China were to ban imports of US electronics and software, it could cost US companies 37 per cent of their annual sales.

It found that the top US semiconductor makers have reported a median revenue decline of between four and nine per cent in each of the three quarters following the ban on Huawei buying US chip technologies in May last year.

“As the coronavirus outbreak is severely disrupting global supply and industrial chains, such actions will further destroy and hit the current system,” said Wang Peng, deputy head of the China Center for Information Industry Development, adding that the latest move damages the interests of Chinese and US enterprises.

Raymond Wang, a partner of the Roland Berger consultancy, said the move is not conductive to global industrial development and economic recovery amid the coronavirus outbreak.

“Many people are currently stuck at home and in desperate need of information and communication technology infrastructure to support working from home and online education,” said Wang, warning that the move against a major global ICT solutions provider such as Huawei will hinder the fight against the coronavirus and hamper digitalisation.

Wang said the new rule will have an impact on Huawei, but the company should have already made preparations, such as increasing its inventory and switching to backup suppliers. So, in the long run, it will be the US semiconductor industry that may suffer a greater impact.

On Sunday, which was World Telecommunication Day, Vice-Minister of Industry and Information Technology Chen Zhaoxiong said China will accelerate the construction of new infrastructure, including 5G, artificial intelligence and big data.

“China will also deepen international cooperation to fuel the development of the global digital economy and build a community of common destiny in cyberspace,” said Chen.

Wang Peng from China Center for Information Industry Development agreed, saying China needs to be open to working together with other countries in terms of the high-tech sector and manufacturing.

“We need to open wider to the outside world, which will bring more opportunities for development,” added Wang.

CHINA DAILY/ASIA NEWS NETWORK

MOST VIEWED

  • With herd immunity likely in 2022, is Cambodia ready to reopen for tourism?

    The government aims to inoculate 80 per cent of the target population by June next year, giving it a head start among regional peers to reboot the sector but first, it has to do a few things to up its game A sign on a glass

  • Quarantine still a must for all arrivals, in next Covid chapter

    Since early May, an average of five to 10 Cambodian people have died from Covid-19 a day with many others testing positive amid the ongoing community outbreak. At the same time, however, hundreds of patients also recovered a day. The first Covid-19 case in Cambodia was

  • US wants 'full access' to Ream Naval Base

    On June 11, the US embassy's Defense Attaché Colonel Marcus M Ferrara visited Ream Nava Base in coordination with Cambodian officials following the recent approval of Prime minister Hun Sen to allay the concerns on Chinese military presence at the base as raised by US Deputy

  • Jab drive heading to 5 provinces

    The government is set to vaccinate more than 1.2 million people in five provinces after finishing with Phnom Penh and neighbouring Kandal in an ongoing campaign administered by the ministries of Health and National Defence. The five provinces are Preah Sihanouk, Kampong Speu, Takeo, Kampong Cham

  • New immigration bill targets illegal foreigners in Kingdom

    General Department of Immigration (GDI) officials are discussing revisions to the new draft law on immigration to prevent foreigners from entering Cambodia illegally and to supervise those living in the Kingdom more effectively. The revisions draw wide support among civil society organisations. GDI director-general Kirth

  • Kingdom set to be a gold producer

    Cambodia will soon join the roster of gold producing countries after the government announced the commencement of commercial gold mining operations in the Okvau area in southwestern Mondulkiri province's Keo Seima district from June 21. Prime Minister Hun Sen on June 10 announced that after 14 years of