Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - China Ready accredits 2 more tourism firms

China Ready accredits 2 more tourism firms

Chinese tourists exit the Royal Palace in 2016 in the Kingdom’s capital.
Chinese tourists exit the Royal Palace in 2016 in the Kingdom’s capital. Pha Lina

China Ready accredits 2 more tourism firms

Two Cambodian tour operators have received accreditation under the Ministry of Tourism’s China Ready programme, bringing to 15 the total operators now recognised, tourism officials said yesterday.

Lucky Angkor Hotel & Spa and DM International Travel recently received accreditation under the programme, according to an update on the China Ready website.

“The China Ready strategy and its accreditation play an important role in attracting Chinese tourists [and] ensure that our tourism industry provides quality services,” said Chhay Khunlong, deputy director general of the tourism department at the Ministry of Tourism.

Khunlong explained that the China Ready programme, first launched in May 2016, aims to foster trust between local tourism businesses and Chinese tourists.

The programme recognises tourism establishments that have at least one Chinese speaker on staff to interact with tourists, have translated their menus and websites into Chinese language, have facilities for foreign exchange of Chinese currency, and which offer a high quality of service.

According to Khunlong, a total of 15 local tourism businesses have been accredited under the China Ready programme to date, while applications for another 40 are under review.

Chinese tourists are playing an increasingly bigger role in Cambodia’s tourism sector. A total of 530,000 Chinese tourists visited the Kingdom during the first six months of 2017, a 40 percent increase compared to the same period a year earlier, and representing nearly 20 percent of all foreign tourist arrivals.

Khunlong said he was optimistic that Cambodia would meet its target of 2 million Chinese visitors a year by 2020.

This updated version corrects the percentage increase in Chinese tourists during the first half of 2017.

MOST VIEWED

  • PM: West unfair to Cambodia

    Prime Minister Hun Sen released a message celebrating the International Day of Peace on Monday, saying that some major powers and western countries had been systemically cooperating to put political pressure on Cambodia as they did in the 1970s and 1980s. Hun Sen said pressuring

  • ‘Bad news is an investor’s best friend’ – unlocking investment potential in Cambodia

    It is time to shop. Economic woes provide good pickings for investors if they know where to look The poem If, written by English Nobel laureate poet and novelist Rudyard Kipling for his son circa 1895, is widely perceived as fatherly advice for John who would

  • First ‘mobile kitchen’ in Cambodia enters service

    A catering company recently rolled out Cambodia’s first “mobile kitchen” – a $50,000 container capable of serving up to 200 people at a time. The kitchen is the brainchild of Seng Hok Heng Catering Services. At 4.4m-high, 6.8m-long and 2.4m-wide (expandable to 6.8m), the kitchen is equipped

  • Kingdom, China rebut basis for US sanctions

    The Council for the Development of Cambodia, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation, and Tianjin Union Investment Development Group Co Ltd (Tianjin) have responded to US sanctions on Union Development Group Co Ltd (UDG), a Chinese-owned company currently developing the sprawling $3.8 billion Dara

  • PM requests Russia’s Covid vaccine

    Prime Minister Hun Sen has requested that Russia provide Cambodia with its Covid-19 vaccine after the former announced it planned on mass vaccinating its population next month. The request came on Thursday through the prime minister’s Facebook page as he met with Anatoly Borovik,

  • Influenza breaks out in eight provinces

    Nearly 600 people have been infected with influenza in eight provinces in the past month, Ministry of Health spokesperson Or Vandine said. The ministry is advising extreme caution. A report released by Vandine on Saturday said the Ministry of Health observed transmissions of influenza between August 15