Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - China welcomes US trade talks

China welcomes US trade talks

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Container delivery trucks are shown heading to the Port of Long Beach on July 12, in Long Beach, California, one of the world’s busiest seaports and a major gateway for trade between Asia and the US. Frederic J BROWN/afp

China welcomes US trade talks

China welcomed on Thursday a US offer to hold fresh trade talks, adding that the two are discussing the details, providing some hope the world’s top two economies could step back from the brink of an all-out trade war.

The countries have been engaged in an escalating tit-for-tat trade fight for months but on Wednesday it emerged that US Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin had invited top Chinese officials to discuss the issue.

“The Chinese side believes that the escalation of the trade conflict is not in the interest of either party,” commerce ministry spokesman Gao Feng told reporters at a regular news briefing.

Beijing “has indeed received an invitation from the US and holds a welcoming attitude to it”, said Gao, noting the “two sides are still communicating on the specific details”.

News of the possible high-level talks comes as a new business survey released Thursday showed that the majority of US firms in China are beginning to feel the pinch of the tit-for-tat trade battle.

The fight had looked like it would spiral further after US President Donald Trump last week threatened to impose tariffs on all $500 billion worth of imports from China.

Hopes for the resumption of negotiations sent Asian markets rallying with Hong Kong surging 2.5 per cent – having fallen for six straight days and into a bear market – and Shanghai more than one percent higher.

But analysts cautioned the two sides may still be far from coming to an agreement.

The Trump administration may not be fully aligned on the matter, with the US Trade Representative still seeming to want to apply pressure, while Beijing may not be ready to budge on its positions, economist Andrew Polk wrote in the Trivium China newsletter.

“We don’t think China has much more to offer than they already have, and the US doesn’t seem like it’s inclined to accept what is currently on the table,” Polk told AFP.

“We may be in for another round of disappointment,” Polk forecast of the “umpteenth round” of trade negotiations.

Trump imposed the first phase of tariffs this summer on $50 billion of Chinese exports, including high-end technology parts and manufactured goods, while Beijing fired back dollar-for-dollar at US soybeans, autos and other farm goods.

MOST VIEWED

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Phnom Penh curfew starts today

    A two-week curfew from 8pm to 5am starts today in Phnom Penh, a day after a sub-decree detailing administrative measures to contain Covid-19 was issued by Prime Minister Hun Sen. “Travelling in Phnom Penh is temporally banned between 8pm and 5am,” said Phnom Penh governor

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Cambodia gears up for muted New Year festival

    The recent curfew and restrictions imposed in the capital and other Covid-19 hotspots were intended to break the chain of transmission, Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said as municipal and provincial authorities issued new directives banning certain activities during the upcoming Khmer New Year

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting

  • Covid-19 vaccination now obligatory

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on April 11 issued a sub-decree making Covid-19 vaccination compulsory for individuals unless they have a medical certificate proving they have pre-existing health conditions that prevent them from doing so. «This applies to all members of the armed forces and civil servants