Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Chinese arrivals offset decline in Vietnamese tourists

Chinese arrivals offset decline in Vietnamese tourists

Chinese tourists walk out of the Royal Palace after a sightseeing tour in the Kingdom’s capital last year.
Chinese tourists walk out of the Royal Palace after a sightseeing tour in the Kingdom’s capital last year. Pha Lina

Chinese arrivals offset decline in Vietnamese tourists

A sharp rise in visits by Chinese and Lao tourists offset a double-digit decline in Vietnamese arrivals during the first half of the year, pushing the Kingdom’s tourism sector into record territory.

Chhay Khunlong, deputy general director of the Tourism Industry Department at the Ministry of Tourism, said Cambodia received more than 2.6 million foreign tourist arrivals during the first six months of 2017. The total represented a 12.8 percent increase compared to the same period a year earlier, and was the highest volume ever recorded in a six-month period.

China topped all other countries for inbound tourism, with the number of arrivals increasing 40 percent year-on-year to 529,967 visitors during the first half of the year, and accounting for about 20 percent of all international arrivals.

“The government targeted Chinese tourism and is trying to promote more arrivals . . . to reach our target of 2 million Chinese tourists a year by 2020,” Khunlong said yesterday.

The huge gain in Chinese tourists offset the drop in Vietnamese arrivals, which declined by 15 percent year-on-year to 392,388 during the first half of 2017, Khunlong said. Meanwhile, visits by Lao tourists soared over 82 percent to 224,272 during the period.

Chhay Sivlin, president of the Cambodia Travel Agents Association, said the fluctuation in visits by individual nationalities was not an issue given that the overall trend was for more tourists. In any case, she projected that Vietnamese inbound tourism would bounce back next year once the government turns its attention to addressing the issues that caused it to slow.

“The growth of Vietnamese arrivals will increase next year as currently tourism operations are focused on implementing the government’s policy to attract more Chinese tourists,” she said.

She suggested that the slowdown in Vietnamese arrivals could also be the result of authorities taking action against Vietnamese tour buses and guides, which domestic operators have claimed are damaging their business.

“The Vietnamese only use direct buses from their country and their own guides, which keeps local tourism operators from receiving any profits, so authorities have taken action to address this,” she said.

Of the 2.6 million foreign tourist arrivals during the first half of the year, some 60 percent, or 1.6 million, arrived by air, according to ministry data. Around 36 percent entered Cambodia by land crossings, and 89,525 arrived by sea.

Khunlong said 1.4 million foreign tourists visited Phnom Penh, 1.2 million visited Siem Reap, and just over 400,000 visited Sihanoukville.

MOST VIEWED

  • Would you like fries with that? US burger chain makes Phnom Penh debut

    California-based The Habit Burger Grill restaurant chain is all set to serve up a delicious array of charbroiled burgers and sides at its newest international location in the centre of Phnom Penh. The Habit is “renowned for its award-winning Charburgers grilled over an open flame,

  • Banteay Meanchey flood victims receive aid

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on Wednesday provided aid to more than 10,000 families affected by flooding in Banteay Meanchey province’s Mongkol Borei district and offered his condolences to the 18 victims who drowned in the province over the past week. He said flooding had occured in

  • Angkor provides ‘valuable’ water storage

    The Apsara National Authority (ANA) has stored millions of cubic metres of water at reservoirs in the Angkor area after Cambodia experienced a series of rainstorms over the last few days. The storing of the water, besides serving temple conservation, will also be used to

  • PM urges caution as Polish man tests positive for Covid

    The Ministry of Health on Wednesday reported that a 47-year-old Polish man tested positive for Covid-19 after arriving in Cambodia on Monday. There are a total of six Covid-19 patients currently in the country, all of whom are being treated at the Khmer-Soviet Friendship Hospital

  • Banteay Meanchey floods kill one more as death toll reaches 15

    As floodwaters start to recede in Pursat, Battambang and Pailin provinces and Phnom Penh, Banteay Meanchey continues to bear the brunt as one more person was killed on Monday, bringing the total number of flood-related deaths to 15 in the province this month. Banteay Meanchey provincial

  • Serving coffee with a side of robots

    The eye-catching glass building surrounded by greenery at the intersection of Streets 371 and 2002 in Phnom Penh’s Sen Sok district is more than just another coffee shop where you can while away a few hours. UrHobby House cafe is filled with robots and characters from