Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Chinese, local firms sign agricultural deals worth $526M

Chinese, local firms sign agricultural deals worth $526M

Agricultural machinery travels though a plantation in Oral district in 2016.
Agricultural machinery travels though a plantation in Oral district in 2016. Hong Menea

Chinese, local firms sign agricultural deals worth $526M

More than a dozen Chinese companies inked deals to purchase about $526 million worth of agricultural products from Cambodian firms on Monday. The 34 agreements between 14 Chinese firms and 18 Cambodian firms were announced by the two country’s commerce ministries at a press conference in Phnom Penh, and a Cambodian Ministry of Commerce spokesman yesterday praised the deals as a good development for local exporters.

“Our main issue is the lack of markets,” said Seang Thai, a ministry spokesman. “Since we have this agreement, it will give us a sustainable market and help our farmers earn more income.” Past agreements with China in the agriculture sector have occa-sionally fallen through or failed to materialise.

Ngoun Meng Tech, director of the Cambodia Chamber of Commerce, said he was optimistic the publicity surrounding Monday’s announcement would ensure the agreements were honoured this time.

“Trade agreements are always good sense, if we can enforce it smoothly; however most of trade agreements always face a lot of obstacles” he said. “Our experience so far has been that the exports still face a lot of obstacles to reach the Chinese market, which is strict about standards, quality and especially SPS [Sanitary and Phytosanitary].”

MOST VIEWED

  • Hundreds of children in hospital with dengue

    A serious dengue fever epidemic is affecting Cambodia, with nearly 600 children hospitalised in the five Kantha Bopha Children’s Hospitals on Monday alone, a statement posted on the Kantha Bopha Foundation’s official Facebook page said on Wednesday. Because Kantha Bopha Children’s Hospitals provide

  • Sihanoukville building collapse death toll rises to 19

    Minister of Interior Sar Kheng said on Sunday that the government will act against those responsible for the collapse of a seven-storey building in Sihanoukville on Saturday, which resulted in 19 dead and 24 injured as of Sunday evening. Sar Kheng said three Chinese nationals and one

  • Gov’t to probe Chinese exports to US via Sihanoukville

    The government is investigating allegations that Chinese companies are using Chinese-owned special economic zones in Cambodia to export goods to the US and avoid tariffs, said Ministry of Commerce spokesman Seang Thay. The move comes after US embassy spokesman Arend Zwartjes said the US had

  • Banh: The Khmer Rouge worse than sanctions and pressure

    Minister of National Defence Tea Banh said on Thursday that having sanctions and external pressure placed on Cambodia was not worse than life under the brutal Khmer Rouge regime. Tea Banh, who is also deputy prime minister, was speaking to military and ruling party officials