Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Chinese telco gears up for an August 4G launch

Chinese telco gears up for an August 4G launch

Chinese telco gears up for an August 4G launch

Xinwei Cambodia, China’s first step into the Kingdom’s telecoms market, planned to launch fourth-generation mobile services in August, according to officials and a company statement.

The Beijing-based firm will deploy its homegrown network technology, McWiLL, and was expected to launch top-to-bottom operations that, according to the statement, would be backed by China Development Bank.

Minister of Posts and Telecommunications So Khun said yesterday that Xinwei has been testing operations.

He said he expects to receive next week a formal letter from the company detailing its operation plans.

Deploying the 4G mobile connections that Xinwei claims it will offer would require a US$100 million investment, So Khun said.

“I know this service will be a step up with 4G. But I don’t know if it will succeed. This will depend on [Xinwei’s] promotion and pricing,” he added.

Despite Xinwei’s presence in 21 countries – including North Korea, Myanmar and the United States – regional telecoms analysts have said there is little information available on the company.

Cambodia will see the first international deployment of McWiLL for mobile services, although Xinwei was also working on networks in Papua New Guinea, Zimbabwe, Ukraine and Brazil, according to the website.

The company has not put a dollar figure on its Cambodian operations, and representatives have routinely denied requests for interviews.

China Development Bank visited the firm in Cambodia late last month and intends to “fully support the globalisation” of Xinwei networks, according to the statement.

The state-owned bank was cited in an early 2011 US-China Economic and Security Review Commission report as providing an unfair pricing advantage via noncompetitive to China’s Huawei and ZTE, the world’s two largest technology device manufacturers.

To contact the reporter on this story: Don Weinland at [email protected]

MOST VIEWED

  • Government hits back at threats to pull EBA, suspend UN seat

    The spokesman for the ruling Cambodian People’s Party (CPP) has said the government is in no way concerned after the European Parliament gave it three months to reverse what it called the “systematic repression of the political opposition”. Ignoring the ultimatum could mean facing

  • Chinese influx pushing locals, Westerners out of Preah Sihanouk

    Some within the Kingdom’s tourism industry have speculated that the recent influx of Chinese visitors may hinder domestic tourism as the price of accommodations in the coastal city of Sihanoukville continues to rise. Preah Sihanouk province, which has become a hotbed for Chinese investment

  • Sar Kheng: Sokha requested security

    Interior Minister Sar Kheng on Sunday revealed the story behind the transfer of former opposition party leader Kem Sokha from Trapaing Phlong prison in Tbong Khmum province to his house in the capital. Speaking at the ruling Cambodian People’s Party (CPP) headquarters in Prey

  • ‘Dire consequences’ from sanctions, warns AmCham

    American businesspeople in Cambodia have warned that any sanction against the Kingdom would have “dire consequences” that could push Cambodia even further into the arms of China. In a letter to US senators and representatives dated Monday, the American Chamber of Commerce Cambodia (AmCham) said