Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Commercial centres to open in Chinese cities

Commercial centres to open in Chinese cities

Commercial centres to open in Chinese cities

Cambodia will establish commercial centres in three major Chinese cities to provide information and support to Chinese traders and investors looking to do business in the Cambodian market, a Commerce Ministry official said yesterday.

Soeng Sophary, spokesperson for the Ministry of Commerce, said the three centres will be established in Beijing, Shanghai and Guangzhou.

“The centres will serve as information hubs and will share all information on trade-related activities,” she said.

Sophary explained that centres would provide information to Chinese investors looking to trade with or invest in Cambodia, and will help traders to find suppliers or distributors here.

“There will be more support on trade between Cambodia and China, so bilateral trade between the two countries will grow stronger,” she said.

On Saturday, Minister of Commerce Pan Sorasak presided over a signing ceremony for establishment of the three centres with visiting representatives of three Chinese companies: tourism operators HYT International Transport Service and Shanghai Spring International Service (Group), and real estate management firm Guangzhou Jinsui Industry Group.

The agreement followed Chinese President Xi Jinping’s two-day state visit to Cambodia in which the two countries signed 31 agreements to boost cooperation, including $238 million in soft loans, $89 million in debt forgiveness and $15 million in military aid.

According to Sophary, the three Chinese firms have agreed to cover the full rental fees of the commercial centres.

Ngoun Meng Tech, director-general of Cambodia Chamber of Commerce (CCC), explained that in the past, Chinese investors often needed to visit Cambodia to gather basic information on trade or investment. However, the new commercial centres would give them more options and facilitate the investment process.

“Without detailed information, investors always hesitate to put investment in, or take a long time before deciding to do business,” he said. “The [new commercial centres] will make it easier for Cambodian and Chinese people to do business, saving them time and money.”

According to the Chinese Embassy in Cambodia, bilateral trade between China and Cambodia during the first half of the year topped $2.3 billion, a 10 percent increase over the same period last year. In 2015, the two countries recorded $4.4 billion in trade.

China has invested about $14 billion in Cambodia since 1994, according to the Council for the Development of Cambodia.

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Hun Sen: Stay where you are, or else

    Prime Minister Hun Sen warned that the two-week lockdown of Phnom Penh and adjacent Kandal provincial town Takmao could be extended if people are not cooperative by staying home. “Now let me make this clear: stay in your home, village, and district and remain where

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting

  • Cambodia gears up for muted New Year festival

    The recent curfew and restrictions imposed in the capital and other Covid-19 hotspots were intended to break the chain of transmission, Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said as municipal and provincial authorities issued new directives banning certain activities during the upcoming Khmer New Year