Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Council OKs energy projects

Council OKs energy projects

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
The projects are a $71 million power line network in Preah Sihanouk province and a $29 million solar power station in Pursat province. Heng Chivoan

Council OKs energy projects

The Council for the Development of Cambodia (CDC) has granted official licences approving two projects with a combined capital investment of $100 million in the energy sector, it said on Wednesday.

The projects are a $71 million power line network in Preah Sihanouk province developed by Schneitec Power Co Ltd and a $29 million solar power station in Pursat province developed by Schneitec Infinite Co Ltd that is capable of producing 30MW of electricity.

Both Schneitec Power and Schneitec Infinite are subsidiaries of Cambodian-Chinese company Schneitec Group. The CDC said the projects will create more than 100 jobs.

Ministry of Mines and Energy’s General Department of Energy director-general Victor Jona told The Post on Thursday that the group would be allowed to import construction materials tax-free.

He said Preah Sihanouk province needed to produce more than 100MW of electricity in total to meet demand.

“Preah Sihanouk province is rapidly developing its infrastructure, especially to aid commercial growth so we anticipate the project to be completed by early 2021,” he said, adding that it will be connected to coal-fired power plants in Steung Hav district.

Meanwhile, the solar power plant station project is expected to be completed by the end of 2020, he said.

Last week, the locally-owned Cambodia International Investment and Development Group (CIIDG) and China Huadian Hong Kong Co Ltd (CHDHK) broke ground on two jointly built coal plants in Preah Sihanouk province.

With a capital investment of some $1 billion, the facilities will be able to produce some 700MW of electricity by early 2023. Each power plant can produce 350MW.

The Kingdom consumed a total of 2,650MW of electricity last year, an increase of around 15 per cent over 2017, according to the Ministry of Mines and Energy.

MOST VIEWED

  • Omicron patients can stay home: PM

    The Ministry of Health has issued a directive on the treatment of people who have tested positive for the highly transmissible Omicron coronavirus variant, following a suggestion from Prime Minister Hun Sen on the night of January 21. The directive permits home quarantine for those who

  • The effects of the USD interest rate hike on Cambodian economy

    Experts weigh in on the effect of a potential interest rate expansion by the US Federal Reserve on a highly dollarised Cambodia Anticipation of the US Federal Reserve’s interest rate hike in March is putting developing economies on edge, a recent blog post by

  • Cambodia’s first ever anime festival kicks off Jan 22 at capital’s F3 centre

    Phnom Penh's first ever Anime Festival will bring together fans, artists, shops and other local businesses with ties to the Japanese animation style for cosplay competitions, online games, pop-up shops and more on January 22, with Friends Futures Factory (F3) hosting. F3 is a project that

  • Demining rat ‘hero’ Magawa dead at 8

    A landmine-hunting rat that was awarded a gold medal for heroism for clearing ordnance from the Cambodian countryside has died, his charity said on January 11. Magawa, a giant African pouched rat originally from Tanzania, helped clear mines from about 225,000sqm of land – the equivalent of 42

  • Hun Sen gets 4th Covid shot, urges compatriots to follow

    Prime Minister Hun Sen and his wife Bun Rany on January 14 received their fourth dose of Covid-19 vaccine and called on compatriots to follow suit as the Omicron coronavirus variant continues to spread in the community. This marks the launch of Cambodia's fourth-dose vaccination campaign,

  • Fourth dose Covid booster drive jabs 43K in two days

    In the first two days of the fourth-dose Covid-19 vaccination campaign, more than 43,000 people volunteered to get the jabs, while over 4.6 million people have received a third shot. Health ministry spokeswoman Or Vandine said that fourth-dose vaccinations, which began on January 14 exclusively with the Pfizer