Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Crisis-hit Nissan issues fresh profit warning

Crisis-hit Nissan issues fresh profit warning

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
A young girl plays with a pogo stick in front of the Tokyo Detention House where former Nissan chairman Carlos Ghosn is detained. CHARLY TRIBALLEAU/AFP

Crisis-hit Nissan issues fresh profit warning

NISSAN issued a profit warning on Wednesday, deepening the woes of the Japanese car giant as it seeks to recover from the shock of former boss Carlos Ghosn’s arrest.

The firm downgraded its projection for net profit in the fiscal year to March this year from 410 billion yen ($3.7 billion) to 319 billion yen, the second cut in its forecast in recent months.

Nissan appeared to acknowledge the recent difficulties surrounding the Ghosn affair, which has cast questions over the company’s own corporate governance.

It cited as a reason for the downgrade “the adverse operating environment facing the company during the fourth quarter, and the impact of recent corporate issues on sales”.

Another reason was given as “additional expenses arising from the implementation of a warranty extension campaign covering certain vehicles sold in the US market”.

Chief Financial Officer Hiroshi Karube said the “executive misconduct in Japan” had had an impact on “potential new clients”.

He added that the company was suffering in the US where the market was “not growing and recovering as we expected”.

“We overstretched in recent years and the impact of that is big,” said Karube.

The profit warning came as ex-chairman Ghosn awaits his fate after prosecutors hit him with a fourth set of charges over alleged financial misconduct.

Authorities suspect he siphoned off around $5 million for his personal use from money transferred from Nissan to a dealership in Oman.

Ghosn denies that charge and also insists he is innocent of all allegations against him. His lawyers have filed for bail which the Tokyo District Court is considering.

In February, Nissan already slashed its full-year forecast, as it revealed that nine-month net profit had dropped 45 per cent – a decline the firm blamed on rising raw material costs and foreign exchange difficulties.

It was forced to downgrade its net profit forecast for the fiscal year to March to 410 billion yen, compared to 500 billion yen earlier.

‘Backstabbing’

The results came as Nissan and its partners Renault and Mitsubishi Motors are seeking to turn the page on Ghosn’s arrest for financial misconduct, which has exposed a rift in the three-way tie-up.

In a complicated management structure, Renault – 15 per cent of which is held by the French state – owns a 43 per cent stake in Nissan.

French President Emmanuel Macron and Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe on Tuesday pledged their backing for the alliance, despite the strains caused by Ghosn’s arrest.

The two leaders “reaffirmed their attachment to the Renault-Nissan alliance which is going to celebrate its 20th anniversary and is a major symbol of industrial cooperation between France and Japan”, according to a statement.

Ghosn was ousted as head of Nissan and Mitsubishi Motors almost immediately after his arrest and later resigned as chairman and CEO of Renault.

The tycoon says the allegations against him are part of a plot by some “backstabbing” Nissan executives concerned about a closer relationship between the two firms.

The other reason for this “plot” was the “deterioration in Nissan’s performance for two years”, he charged in a video message recorded before he was dramatically rearrested earlier this month.

Before his sudden downfall, Ghosn was hailed as a titan of the auto sector who had saved Nissan from the brink of bankruptcy by forging an unlikely alliance with Renault, the French stalwart he also headed.

Critics said he was unwise to try to forge an alliance between two companies headquartered some 11,000km apart.

But Ghosn slashed costs and revived Nissan’s fortunes, earning him praise as a rare success story for a foreign corporate boss in Japan.

MOST VIEWED

  • School reopening to be postponed until November

    Minister of Education Hang Chuon Naron on Tuesday wrote to Prime Minister Hun Sen requesting a delay of school reopening across the Kingdom until November, when the new academic year begins. In his letter, Chuon Naron said the postponement is warranted to avoid the new

  • Foreigners in Kingdom must now register in FPCS system

    The Ministry of Interior’s General Department of Immigration (GDI) announced that it would not grant visa extensions to foreigners staying in Cambodia if their names are not listed on the Foreigners Present in Cambodia System (FPCS) by July 1. Foreign nationals can register in the

  • Covid-19 at ‘alarming rate’, health ministry says

    The Covid-19 risk level for individual transmission is at an “alarming rate” in the Kingdom and its probability is “not low”, warned Health Ministry spokesperson Or Vandine. “Cambodia’s coronavirus scenario is classified as being at an early stage of the pandemic because of ongoing

  • Mandatory quarantine for 30,000 workers begins

    Some of the roughly 30,000 workers from factories and enterprises across the Kingdom who went on leave during Khmer New Year began their government-imposed 14-day quarantine on Monday. Speaking at a press conference while visiting workers at the Phnom Penh Special Economic Zone on Monday, Ministry

  • Unemployed to get $40 per month

    The Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training has instructed enterprises, business owners and travel agencies in five provinces to prepare the proper forms for the suspension of employment contracts. This, it said, will make it easier for the ministry to transfer $40 a month to workers

  • Gov’t travel ban flouted

    While the majority of Cambodians have paid heed to Prime Minister Hun Sen’s order to stay put and not travel during the Khmer New Year – the holidays of which were also postponed – several hundred have left Phnom Penh nonetheless. They have allegedly breached provincial

  • G20 energy ministers struggle to finalise oil output cuts

    Top oil producers struggled to finalise production cuts during a virtual summit held by Group of 20 (G20) energy ministers on Friday, despite US President Donald Trump’s mediation efforts to end a standoff with Mexico. The final G20 communique appeared to gloss over simmering divisions

  • Kingdom revises travel restriction order

    The government on Friday eased the district and provincial border restrictions issued on Thursday. People are now allowed to cross districts within their provinces. Phnom Penh and Kandal province are to be treated as a single region where people are allowed to travel freely. In

  • Private schools struggling

    The Cambodian Higher Education Association has claimed that 113 private educational establishments are facing bankruptcy because of their inability to pay rent and staff salaries in light of nationwide school closures caused by the Covid-19 outbreak. It said the financial trouble started when the Ministry of

  • Khmer New Year holidays postponed

    In an effort to halt Covid-19 infections in the Kingdom, Prime Minister Hun Sen has postponed the Khmer New Year holidays scheduled from April 13 to 16. While the people will not have their usual break, nor will there be any public celebrations or gatherings at pagodas,