Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Cyberattacks cost $45B as ransomware hits hard

Cyberattacks cost $45B as ransomware hits hard

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Cyber attacks were costly last year, with losses of at least $45 billion from a variety of online fraud schemes, according to a new report. GERD ALTMANN/PIXABAY

Cyberattacks cost $45B as ransomware hits hard

An estimated two million cyberattacks last year resulted in more than $45 billion in losses worldwide as local governments struggled to cope with ransomware and other malicious incidents, a study showed on Tuesday.

The Internet Society’s Online Trust Alliance, compiling data from the US and some international sources, said other important losses came from fraudulently taking over business email credentials as well as “cryptojacking” or hijacking a computer or network to generate bitcoin or other virtual currency.

The report suggested cyber criminals are getting more sophisticated in targeting their victims, but also noted many attacks could have been prevented with improved computer security.

Various security researchers found as many as 6,515 computer breaches and five billion records exposed last year.

Jeff Wilbur, technical director of the alliance, said the report’s estimates are conservative because many attacks are not reported.

“The financial impact of cybercrime is up significantly and cyber criminals are becoming more skilled at profiting from their attacks,” Wilbur said.

Some $8 billion in losses came as the result of ransomware attacks including high-profile incidents targeting the cities of Atlanta, Georgia, and Baltimore, Maryland that forced the municipalities to rebuild their networks.

While the number of ransomware infects fell by an estimated 20 per cent, the financial losses surged by 60 per cent, the report said.

Attackers also continued to profit from a variety of email scams that impersonate employees or vendors, a technique also known as “phishing”.

This so-called “business email compromise” resulted in some $1.3 billion in losses last year, according to the report.

The annual report aggregates data from security firms such as Symantec and Trend Micro, law enforcement agencies including the FBI, and international organisations.

Among the high-profile data breaches was the attack on the Marriott/Starwood hotel chain which impacted 383 million people.

Wilbur said that while some incidents show growing skills of attackers, the methods have been consistent over the years – generally inducing someone to respond or click on false pretences.

“The way they get in continues to be relatively constant,” he said.

“You hear about super-sophisticated attacks and for the most part they are not that sophisticated. For the most part they could have been prevented.”

MOST VIEWED

  • Virus tops 84 with new cases in S’ville

    The Ministry of Health on Sunday night confirmed another 31 cases of coronavirus infections, bringing the Kingdom’s total to 84 and it highest daily tally. There have been no fatalities thus far. The latest cases were found in 29 French tourists and their two Cambodian tour guides

  • Mysterious century-old structure found at bottom of Angkor pond

    The Apsara National Authority (ANA) has discovered a mysterious 1,000-year-old structure of a wooden building at the bottom of a pond after the Angkor Wat temple’s conservation team completed restoring its northern cave. The deputy director at ANA’s Angkor International Research and Documentation

  • NBC calls for cashless payments

    The National Bank of Cambodia (NBC) has urged government ministries, financial institutions and the public to conduct cashless payments via electronic systems where possible to combat the spread of Covid-19. “To contribute to the prevention of Covid-19, the National Bank of Cambodia encourages financial institutions

  • Ministry calls for home schooling

    Minister of Education, Youth and Sport, Hang Chuon Naron appealed to parents of students to provide home education in a proper environment and help them obtain more learning materials. The ministry also allowed schools to take a premature vacation after several people tested positive for

  • Cross-border deal inked to maintain trade amid Covid-19

    Cambodia and Vietnam have agreed to allow cargo trailers to enter the common Bavet-Moc Bai border, located in Cambodia’ Svay Rieng province (Bavet) and Vietnam’s Tay Ninh province (Moc Bai) after movement restrictions were enforced to prevent a Covid-19 outbreak. The decision was made

  • Cellcard announces Cambodia’s first use of 5G to help Kingdom during Covid-19

    Cellcard on Friday announced Cambodia’s first use of 5G for a telemedicine service at four locations across Phnom Penh to help the Kingdom’s most critically ill during the Covid-19 outbreak. Cellcard, which is the only 100 per cent Cambodian-owned and "Proudly Khmer" mobile network