Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Damage control for Dumex

Damage control for Dumex

A father shops for infant formula at a Phnom Penh grocery in August.
A father shops for infant formula at a grocery in August. Local infant-powder distributor Dumex Cambodia has taken steps to reassure the public of the safety of its product after parent company Fonterra recalled the milk products from shelves last month. PHA LINA

Damage control for Dumex

While New Zealand dairy giant Fonterra is working overtime to restore its damaged brand in the wake of a contaminated baby milk scare that triggered a global recall, local distributors whose products included the suspect ingredient are defending their own reputations.

Dairy giant Fonterra announced in early August that a whey protein concentrate sold to certain producers of baby milk may be contaminated with bacteria that can cause botulism, a potentially paralytic and fatal illness.

The announcement created nervousness worldwide as producers of baby milk scrambled to retrace their distribution and withdraw products made with the Fonterra ingredient.

Local supplier Dumex Cambodia withdrew thousands of cartons of its baby milk from circulation and had them destroyed as a “precaution”. In a 20-day recall campaign, Dumex set up a 24-hour hotline and placed advertisements in local newspapers to reassure consumers of the safety of its products.

“The decision to recall products as a precaution was based on the information supplied at the time by Fonterra. [Safety is] and always will be our number one priority and something on which we will never compromise,” said Kong Bo, country manager of Dumex Cambodia in a statement released last week.

New Zealand government testing has since cleared the ingredient of any food-safety risk, but consumer confidence in Fonterra has been fractured, and executives have been on the offensive to win back trust.

Fonterra recently announced that it would appoint a food safety director, and vowed to strengthen its recall process, Bloomberg reported last week. A similar campaign is occurring locally, too. After the recall, Dumex continued its efforts, releasing a series of additional newspaper advertisements and holding a press conference reassuring consumers that the “precautionary” process was now complete.

“Dumex Cambodia is now more determined than ever to give mums an even greater peace of mind and to continue being an industry leader in developing new safety and quality standards. That’s our uncompromising pledge to parents and babies,” said Bo, Dumex country manager.

Lingering consumer concern yesterday showed that Dumex was not unjustified in its damage-control blitz.

“Some people ask questions about problems with the brand,” said Yong Srey Ny, a shop attendant at Baby Care on Street 51. “I just tell them, no problem.” But despite her assurances, Srey Ny said she had still noticed people switching brands.

Dumex isn’t the only one taking charge. Official “laboratory tested” declarations accompanied Physiolac, a non-recalled brand in Srey Ny’s store, suggesting fears of damage through association.

The statement certified that Physiolac formula did not “contain any whey powder or any other ingredient sourced from the New Zealand company Fonterra.”

ADDITIONAL REPORTING BY LAURA MA

MOST VIEWED

  • All inbound flights set to face added scrutiny

    Ministry of Health spokesperson Or Vandine said on Monday that the ministry is monitoring all inbound flights, after it was announced that only those from Malaysia and Indonesia will be temporarily cancelled from August 1. Vandine said on Monday that the two countries were identified as

  • Flights from Indonesia, Malaysia cancelled

    A Ministry of Health official has warned of the possibility of Covid-19 spreading through community transmission after the total infected cases in the Kingdom rose to 225. Ministry spokeswoman Or Vandine told reporters on Saturday that the possibility of community transmission cannot be overlooked and that

  • Man in quarantine dies of ‘overdose’

    The Ministry of Health on Thursday said a Cambodian migrant worker who died while being isolated at a quarantine centre in Tbong Khmum province’s Kroch Chhmar district may have died from syncope or overdose of tablets. In a statement, the ministry said the 21-year-old

  • Ministry set to reopen 20 schools in August

    The Ministry of Education, Youth and Sport will allow 20 high-safety-standards schools to reopen next month despite new cases of Covid-19 in the country. Ministry spokesperson Ros Soveacha wrote in a Telegram message on Wednesday that the schools are in Phnom Penh, Siem Reap and Battambang.